View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Mania with food 

Post Mania with food
My dad has a mania with food. Even if he is choking, he still tries to eat. And his eating habits have gotten truly disgusting. I wouldn't think of describing it here. Has anyone else seen this and is there any way to slow him down?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:54 pm

The only way I know to deal with shoveling is to place a limited quantity of food within reach.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Let's put it this way: We don't eat out any more.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Eating too quickly is not something your Dad is doing deliberately. He just doesn't have the control he used to have. It is an aspect of his dementia.
As Robin says, you now have to be the one to control his eating by giving him small portions, and waiting until he finishes before offering more. My husband has been eating like this for a long time, plus I now actually have to feed him because that way he is able to swallow a little more easily than when he feeds himself. As for the mess, try using a large bib, plus a plastic mat under his plate, and pretend that you are dealing with a toddler just learning how to eat. It's a healthy sign that your Dad still has a good appetite.

Doris

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 am

Up until now Frank has fed himself but he did make a mess. I found a plastic cutting board that has a lip that goes over the end of the table, I use it as a placemat, I was wearing the finish off the table. This has made a big difference and I bought some towels to make bibs, shirt covers, but last night I thought I would look for some men's barbecue aprons, a little less degrading, and it would help collect what falls in his lap. Frank has been going to a day program 2 x a week for 6hrs each day. I work one of the days but am able to accomplish odds and ends the other. I don't usually stress about our life but I do get a bit misty eyed with I'm not able to attend something of our grandchildren. This afternoon our grandson has a basketball game but Frank can't do bleachers anymore, but he needs something to lean against so we had always headed to the top. Lately he doesn't seem to be able to understand a simple task, like "sit down, wipe you chin, wait a second." So I think until we have outdoor games we'll have to forgo the sports. That's when I get down.

Take Care, Gerry

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:38 am

Post Pie plates
My LO doesn't have the shoveling food problem. It's more like she wants to snack constantly and not eat during meals and there is a lot of anxiety about having grapes, apples, cheese, crackers, chocolate bars, cookies, etc. around. She moves them around and hides them then can't find them. Her current delusion is that there is a little boy that comes in and takes them.

Anyway, on topic, one good thing about the adult family home that she was in is that they used full sized pie plates for food. The edges kept much of the food in. I would keep my eye out for pie plates at garage sales.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 am

I wish my mom would eat like that sometimes. I am happy on the days she eats! peroid. I use a big full legnth bib. It is wipeable and washable. I love it. Saves her clothes. I also have a plate guard I attach to her plate so she can bring the food to the side of her plate and not spill it. It works. I am making her alot of smoothies and shakes. :)

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Annie, I bet it's the same boy who comes around and takes my husbands things! :lol:

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:54 pm

right now my ,mom is going around looking for salt ot give the animals. She is thinking every container is a salt container., and licking her hands. She see's kids around all the time. Maybe the kids just go from house to house. lol

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]