View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lift chairs 

Mom's is a Pride, 3 position, chair. We looked at both Golden and Pride, which are the two main lift chair manufacturers. It came down to what Mom liked best when she sat down. The only real difference between those called "infinite" and those called 2 to 3 position chairs is that the infinite chair allows the back and the footrest to move independently. For this reason, I sort if wish we had gotten an infinite position chair, but because each piece can be moved independently there are footrest controls and back controls. Some even have massage controls. That's what I meant by too confusing.

Mom's 3 position chair only has an up and down button, both arrows so it is pretty easy to use. But when she puts the footrest up, the back moves and she doesn't really like that. The ability to use it without having someone else work the controls, though, sort of makes up for that.

Try them out in the medical supply stores, where they usually have a pretty large selection. But check the price directly from the manufacturer (on the web). We did get Mom's from a medical supply because they set it up (when they delivered it) and will maintain it. If it is shipped to you from an internet provider, you may have to set it up (mostly putting the back on, but you should be sure to ask what is involved in set up). The price, though, may justify it.

Also, Medicare will pay the cost of the lift equipment, but not the chair. So they pay somewhere between $200 to $400 of the cost. If you are on some kind of assistance, they may pay the entire cost of the chair, but then you will have to take what they give you.

That's what I learned when I did my shopping. Oh, and be sure to get a chair that's the right size. They come in a variety of sizes. Mom's is a petite.

Kate

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Oh, and when you do a web search, do a search on "lift chair." You'll get pages of listings. But be sure you go to the medical supply store, too, so it can be sized. And, if you order one from the Internet, be sure you actually talk to someone about set up.

Kate

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks, katelu. My husband hates recliners so he would only want a regular chair with no footrest or up and down back. I'll see what's out there.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm

I think you can get them that way. I've also seen chairs with long wood legs. They must not be recliners. Or, you can just get the lift cushion that you can move around. I don't know how well that works or how stable it is, though. But, I'm pretty sure Medicare covers all of the cost of the cushion because it really is just the lifting device. Good hunting!

Kate

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:06 pm

Here are four sites that have a lift-only chair. I think it is the same chair at all four sites, but comparing suppliers doesn't hurt:

http://www.liftchairs.com/Lift_Only_Cha ... 7/s/1/p/1/

http://www.a1-medical-supplies.net/lift ... ft-chairs/

http://www.improvelife.com/ Select straight back chair

http://www.alltimemedical.com/category/Lift_Chairs.html

-- Kate

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Thank you, katelu!!! :D I think he'd like that wing-back chair.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Post Lift chairs
I just ordered a second lift chair (for a second home) from Costco.com. website. $599 before tax--delivered to your driveway. It's item # 280230. My total bill is abour $644. No delivery charges. We already have one exactly like it and it works great. Very sturdy. Best buy I've found. My husband, who has both LBD and atrophied calf muscles as a result of childhood polio, uses the one in this house very well.

I don't know what I would do without a life chair.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Thank you, janf. It looks like they only have recliners and my husband doesn't like recliners. They look like nice chairs, though.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Post Lift chairs
The item number I gave should go to the lift chairs. I know the site only shows recliners when you first go to it. Try the item # 280230. It's the Easy Comfort Lift Chair Recliner. I just ordered the new one last night and got a confirmation on it. Could you try again? It's such a wonderful lift chair.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Post lift chairs
FUNNY YOU SHOULD ASK ABOUT LIFT CHAIRS. Over the past 2 months we have bought 3..... Rented one that worked very well. So I shopped for one and we bought one that we tested and everything from some local people on craigslist. My husband thought he liked it but ended up not being able to sleep on it sooooooooooo we bought another one just like the one we had rented... and then bought the rental chair also because he could sleep in it, too..... MOST OF THE TIME - he can operate it and really loves it to sleep in. We don't keep it in a living area we keep it in the bedroom because he needs it to sleep in. You can rent them for short term that way you can test the waters to see if it works out...If you do look at them, make sure the weight limits are right for your spouse. I think the problem with the one my husband can't use is that it is for a weight up to 500 lbs.... so it is too stiff for him..... wish he had decided that while we were trying it instead of after we bought it... He likes the "Pride" series.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 am

If you get a script from th doctor and use a medical suppy, medicare will pay for the motor part of the chair, somewhere areound 250,00

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:14 am
Profile WWW

Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 am

Post Lift Chair
I had a Acorn lift chair installed for my wife. She resisted it for a long time and walked up and down the steps. Since having the Vertigo she has become afraid of it. She will walk up the steps and hopefully down again. I had bought it because she was having problems. It made her stronger because she walked to resist it.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2