View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Uncontrolled anger from delusions 

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:03 pm

You might find this post about the article worthwhile as well:
http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1145

(I'm sure the link provided back in 2008 doesn't work any more. Unfortunately when most outfits change their websites, they lose working links.)

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Thank you so much, Robin, for the link to Geri Hall's great article. I had read it some time ago but forgot to save it and lost track of it. It's particularly disturbing for me to know that:
"C. Untreated violence goes from bad to worse. It does not get better on its own. In every episode of an injured or murdered caregiver, there were warnings...but the caregiver chose not to heed them, often out of disbelief that their loved one would never do anything to hurt them. This is not your loved one acting here. This is disease and it needs quick and effective treatment."--Pat

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:19 pm

My sons and I spent the morning with my dad who cried all morning. Because of distance, my kids don't see him very often, and seeing the 2 of them together seemed to make him very emotional. He really loves his grandsons, and just could not hold it together - everything made him cry. He did laugh with them once for about a min., a very nice change and big surprise. Then after they left to visit their other grandmother he spent the afternoon angry, delusional and having temper tantrums. Whatever I tried to do or say was wrong, and it was one angry outburst after another. I'd quietly get up, make a logical excuse to leave for a few min., then come back. He told me if any of his CGs weren't nice to him tonight he was going to tell them they were an SOB just because he wants to. He said he wasn't going to leave his room for meals anymore because they are "making me eat with those dementia people and I don't have dementia." Oh boy. At least I haven't had a call from the ALF so far tonight.
I am really not happy that his cognitive increase from the Namenda and Aricept have him more aggitated than he was before. I have to talk with his neuro as soon as I get a chance.
I feel like I've been through the ringer today.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:01 am

Post Visit
Lynn, I'm so sorry. You must really have been looking forward to the family visit. I'm sure you have explained to your sons about how it is the disease, not their grandfather, that makes him behave so emotionally. They just don't have the "control" part of the brain working. On bad days with my Mom whatever she thinks pops right out. Later, she tells me that when she is having one of her brain storms she knows she is saying mean things but she can't stop herself.

You must be exhausted. I hope you rest well tonight. Good luck to you.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi Annie - thanks for your kind words. We had breakfast with my dad yesterday morning before our 550 mi. trip back to VT. He was in better shape emotionally than the day before, thank goodness. He ate well, had decent conversations, all things considered, and I don't think he lost his temper more than maybe once.
So, we left on a good note, and the boys were pretty sad to see the shape he's in now, but very glad they made the trip.
Lynn

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2