View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Sporadic Fever 

Post Sporadic Fever
Does anyone know if it is part of the disease to have sporadic fever? Mom has been having temperature spikes anywhere from 99 - 102 degrees, on and off for at least two months now. She is always on an antibiotic, sometimes two and three at a time. They work for a little while and then the temp goes up again. Tonight the Hospice nurse said she thought that it could just be the disease. She said that perhaps the part of the brain that regulates her body temperature is diseased. Anyone have this issue?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:59 pm

The autonomic system controls body temperature, blood pressure, respiration, etc. This system can get out of whack with PD and Atypical Parkinsonism disorders. It could be that the fevers are related to that.

I would look first at possible sources of infection, especially UTI. It could be that the antibiotic she's taking isn't doing anything to kill the bugs in the bladder or urinary tract.

We have seen the same odd things in a shorter time frame: Sat and Sun fevers up to 103, Mon and Tues down to normal or 99.6, and then Wed, Thurs, and Fri up again. I took my Dad (with PSP) into the hospital for a chest xray and urinalysis. They discovered a UTI. They said that it's normal for the body to have some success in fighting an infection for a period of time, and then start failing at the task again, so they weren't surprised by the "odd" temp fluctuations.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]