View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Strange Eating Habits 

My dad eats very little, unless I get him a crabcake sandwich with fries at Ruby Tuesdays. Then he eats like a teenage boy! The greatly reduced food intake and other symptoms make me think his body is just shutting down..... Who knows, this is such a strange disease.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:51 am

You just don't know. My mom walking around has been a little better, but her mind is so much worse. That along with her eating...and sleeping,and that blankness she has on her face at times. I just don't know either.
I am just exausted. My creativity is shot.
But we pick our selves up and dust ourselves off and go again! All because we Love them so much!
I am despertly in need of His strength today! I am glad I
[u]can[/u] depend on Him.

Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 am

I know the sippy cups have been suggested before. Do you think he would drink his coffee from one? or any liquid drinks?

My LO is still a good eater and no trouble feeding himself. However, the change I have noticed is that he will now eat things (like spaghetti with mushrooms) that he would never touch in our earlier years of marriage. If I made spaghetti for myself and the kids, I would have to make his something else. In fact, he was so picky that sometimes he would look at dinner being served and put his hat & coat on and he would go out to eat. Wow, maybe Lewy was lurking even then!

Karen

Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 am

So with all this great smoothie advise ......does anyone have any great smoothie recipes?

Tammy

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Post Smoothies
Hey Tammy - here are a few suggestions:
1. I make either a milk base, or yogurt base (use skim, lowfat or regular depending on the person you're feeding)
2. If the person likes bananas, put a banana in the blender with #1. This thickens it.
3. For flavor and fruits, I have used: orange juice concentrate; fresh strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, raspberries, mangoes, (the more flavorful the fruit the better)
4. Taste it and see if it needs anything. If you've used unsweetened yogurt you might need some sugar, Sweet and Low, Splenda, to taste

If you don't like milk products, replace # 1 with juice.

Let us know what exotic concoctions you make! Lynn

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:43 pm

TY for the ideas. I will let you know. I am going ot make her one tonight. :)
She is really in one of her many foreign lands this afternoon, I just pray she will drink it.
Tammy

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Hope something works for you Tammy - you try really hard to do everything for your mom, it is obvious in your posts. Hang in there and switch fruits if the first one isn't suitable to her. I was just thinking that canned peaches with vanilla yogurt would be good.... At least here in the NE the peaches are like rocks and come from far, far away! Lynn

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 pm

When I can't get Johnny to eat, I do make a milkshake and I put 2 scoops of protein powder in it (for calories as well as nutrients.) I use vanilla ice cream, a little milk, some fruit, usually strawberries or crushed pineapple, and the protein powder. Works pretty good for us. I have heard that they do lose their taste buds, but sweet is the last to go, so a little sugar in it might help, too.
Good luck,
Judy

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:17 pm

Crushed pineapple - what a great idea! I've never thought about that. You could add coconut milk and make a "virgin" pin~a colada! This is making me hungry....

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 pm

She did eat last night, and this morning I did make her a berry smoothie. With yogurt and some fresh berries. She liked it. :) I still have to go out and get some no flavor protien powder. I have choc. powder for her ensures. I know yesterday afternoon she didn't want anything!
I apprecaite everyones good dea's. I do happen to have cocanut milk in the fridge. That is a good idea Lynn. :)
Tammy

Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 am

While you're at it Tammy - make yourself a REAL pin~a colada! Sit back, put your feet up and visualize yourself on a tropical beach somewhere taking a vacation! LOL Lynn

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:05 am

Thank you Lynn, I have been tempted! It is funny you mentioned that, because we have a vacation coming up in April. Going to the mountains for 7 days. Booked it last year. Now I am wondering if we can go? We usually do try to get away at least every other month to a beach or somewhere. Just for the weekend. We haven't been able to do it for a while now. I can sit back and imagine...the next best thing! :)
Tammy

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:15 am

Tammy - if I were your doctor, I'd tell you to go (unless you could tell your mom is dying imminently). Even a weekend break can do wonders for people, so if you feel like you can't get away for a whole week, at least give yourself a few days' break. My husband and I travel a lot since I retired 2 yrs. ago but I try to not be anywhere where the ALF can't get ahold of me by phone. And, at this point, I don't think I'll leave the US even for a week because I need to be somewhere where I can catch a plane on a moment's notice. I wish my sister felt the same way..... She's in Spain for 3 weeks after having been in Mexico for 2 weeks, no phone calls to me or checking her email..... Can you tell how I feel about that?! Lynn

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah I do understand that. I love my Brother and sisters. My sister always calls and checks up on me. SHe is in Virgina, too far away to visit right now. The other one is in Washington State. Never calls. My brother lives here, Just so busy.... I do understand!
Tammy

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Ah, yes! Our pipe dreams and wishful visualizations! I have planned my RV trip to Alaska so many times I know the route by heart. Recently, though, I ordered some books on local hiking trails and plan to do some realistic, shorter [half-a-day] hikes when I have my respite. Sometimes just planning these things is a pleasure, don't you think? At least, it is for me. The thought of getting out in the wilderness for a few hours thrills me beyond words.

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next