View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Strange Eating Habits 

Post Strange Eating Habits
Anyone else see this in their Lewy Love? My husband has adopted a few odd eating habits. Several months ago he started demanding a fork for his ice cream. Pointing out the inefficiency of such a tool for the food at hand has no effect, of course, so I just go along with it. Last night he put salad dressing on his bread and lasagna but not on his salad.

I'm happy that he's still eating reasonably well. Just wondering if this is a common behavior.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Yes that is how it is with us too. Yesterday he was pouring his coke on his food before I caught him. Sets glasses on the butter try, eats things off the counters, floors, shirt, coffee table wherever. I try to re-direct when he trys to put ketchup on the salad and move his hand to the fries instead.
Lori

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 am

Same here, I no longer put the salt and pepper on the table because he puts them in his milk.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:27 am

Ohhhh, it is good to see I am not alone. I think some of these behaviors is why I feed him part of the time.
Lorraine

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Ditto to the above! Johnny will pick up the cereal with his hand, like he doesn't know to use the spoon. Has eatten off the floor, but can't get down there most of the time. Wants Cheez-its with pudding. I don't care. It's one of the things I can smile about, because it doesn't hurt.
Judy

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Well I am glad to see your LO are eating.No matter how they are .lol Everything I fix her she does not want. I try diffrent things all the time and nothing is good. I am pulling out hairs tring to find something for her to eat. I know finger foodsare goodbut I bought so many diffrent things and she don't like them. She will like it one day and not the next. we spent over $500 in foods alone in Jan. I can't do that in Feb. Any ideas?
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Is there something from a restaurant that she liked and you might be able to get it as takeout? I don't mean every day, but once in a while. How about milkshakes (and you could put some healthy stuff in it when she's not looking, like fruit, yogurt, wheat germ....)?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15 pm

That is what I am going to try. It is just her taste change from minute to minute. Day by day. When we do go out I do always take her out to eat.
At home I am not the best or the most creative cook.
My husband loves me so he always tell me it is good and to cook what ever I feel like, or just don't worry about it and have left overs. That is good for us. But my mom is and alwyas has been a picky eater. Now if I let her have her way today she would of eaten the dominoes! lol
So you seewhat I mean......
Nothing pleases her most of the time. I am glad she likes her ensure. Ido haveprotien powder I put in those when she just won't eat. We have to be a little sneaky don't we?
:)
Tammy :D

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Tammy, it's not your cooking. I think one feature of this disease is that their tastes DO change on a day to day basis. Oddly, my husband now eats things he's always hated but spurns some of his favorites. And just because he liked oatmeal yesterday doesn't mean he likes it today. It's a challenge. Is there any chance she would drink milk shakes or smoothies? You can put a lot of nutritious stuff into one, and they will often drink it instead of eating a meal. Just a thought. --Pat

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:54 pm

well good advice from 2 smart women!!I will. I guess I am off to the store tomorrow. (if she permits) lol
Thank you both so much.
:)
Tammy

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Does your LO have sweet tooth? At my mother's AL facility, for the residents who often refuse food, the care managers will mix in a little sweet stuff, such as applesauce. It usually works.

Garnet

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:04 pm

The smoothies/milkshakes can work wonders. My dad used to love all meat. At Christmas, he got a plate of mashed potatoes one night, so my husband and I shared our chicken one night and ham the next night. I inquired as to why he was only getting something like mashed potatoes. The answer? "that's what he ordered on the menu" I had to go back to the head nurse and remind her that my dad has dementia and doesn't know how to order a balanced meal anymore. Things have changed.
Dominoes? Now that is a good one! Think of the trip to the dentist for broken teeth, the ER to remove dominoes from the esophagus, etc. etc.
Have a good night.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Thank you Lynn for ending my day with a laugh. :) &
To the start of a new day.......
Tammy

garnetb, ty
My mom use to like applesauce. Now I can't get her to eat it. lol
I love it. :)

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:23 pm

It's a daily struggle to get pop to eat anything
All he wants is coffee and his hands shake so bad he spills it.
He won't drink Boost anymore. I put koolaid and more sugar in bottled water and I atleast know that he is staying hydrated.
He says that I've forgot how to cook! But I'm tired of cooking and throwing it out.
One on my g'sons said My nanny USED to make good cookies!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:34 am

I do understand that. We have thrown so much food out. I hate it because it does cost.
My mom did not want breakfast today, so I gave her Ensure. She still likes those. :)
I am just getting so tired I am running out ofideas. I am going ot try the shakes, and Pray!
Tammy

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next