View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Obsessions 

Post Re: A "CAR SOLUTION"
So many with dementia continue to ask about their car: We posed a picture of Dad's car parked safely in the garage (washed & polished) with my sister standing next to it. It's framed in his room. We involved my Dad in the decision on what to do when he couldn't drive it: I explained insurance was less if we added it to my sister's policy. We still get constant questions about the car: did you change the oil? etc. But the photo seems to give him some resolution or take him back in his memory when "everything was OK". I'm really glad, now, that we took the picture: the car is not in the greatest shape anymore.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Post Re: Obsessions
I think this is so wierd that our LOs obsess on the same things: My husband Ken is also fixated on toothbrushes. My mom-in-law, who lives with us, has to keep her brush and paste in a cup in her bedroom and take them with her when she needs to brush because Ken would take hers from her bathroom and walk around brushing his teeth. I find toothbrushes in all places (I also buy the jumbo packs and have to bring out new ones because the others go missing): I usually find them in pockets or hidden in drawers, sometimes in his depends for safe-keeping. I had to hide all the razors in the house because Ken shaved the same spot on his face all day long with blade razor and electric razor until it bled. He won't let me shave him so we grew his beard and I have it trimmed by our hairstylist. Mockturtle, you're right, it catches everything when he eats so I wash it with baby shampoo every day! And the cat: he keeps warning me that my cat is an attack cat so if I leave the room the cat has to come with me so it doesn't attack. It's so good to laugh at these quirks otherwise we'd be in tears all day. I'll think of the rest of you next time I pull a toothbrush from the dishwasher! Sher
Oh, his other fixation that I didn't hear mentioned is Q-tips: we have to keep a supply in his pocket at all times...

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:38 am

My MIL obsesses over her wallet. She is constantly checking it. She also hides it all over her room - then can't remember where she hid it. It has turned up under her mattress, in her pillow case, under her bedside table, in her closet. Always a new adventure in Lewy Land.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:23 am

LOL, my husband, too. The wallet has replaced his shavers as his main focus of obsession. Although, yesterday, he managed to lose two pairs of shoes. I found one pair in my closet. Still don't know where the others are.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Judy,
I was relieved to finally read about Tooth brushes, earlier reading I thought maybe my Jim was the only one ! He brushed his teeth constantly, I always thought it had something to do with losing his taste.

The shaver we ended up with was the Norelco and it worked OK, I just didn't do well with a hand held razor.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Obsessions with finances -
In reviewing previous posts, I noticed that several of you exchanged experiences with Lewy obsessions. Most of the posts had to do with razors, wallets, toothbrushes, etc. All of those items are a problem here as well.

The larger problem now, however, is Dale's obsession with our financial health .... or his false perception that we are in trouble financially. I've taken care of the bookkeeping our entire marriage and he was always calm about it until Lewy entered the picture. Now, if he sees any sort of financial statements, he is shocked that there are only our two names on it. He quizzes me, "Where did we get all this money?"

He routinely suggests that we have a meeting with 'them.' 'They' are trying to take everything away from us. This afternoon, he quizzed me about old friends I knew before he and I were married. "Where did you meet them?" (He was one of the ministers in our wedding in England. They were close friends until their death.)

I've begun hiding the mail. I try to bring it into the house when he is taking a nap. I feel sneaky but I don't see any other answer. This paranoia has now become worse than the obsession he had earlier with the locks on the doors. That one we solved by having the neighbor come with a screwdriver in his hand. He 'adjusted' all the locks and Dale seemed satisfied.

As is often true, we had a great time this morning at a church bazaar. The over-stimulation of seeing old friends and being the center of attention was too much for him. We're paying the price this afternoon. (As some have said, 'The roller-coaster is going down!')

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I took D. out for lunch today and, though we both enjoyed it---it had been a while---he's absolutely spent now and, fortunately, in bed for a nap. :-)

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:57 pm

I hope he doesn't copy Dale and wake up with weird delusions. :cry:

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Leone, he always has weird delusions! :lol:

BTW, he also will obsess on finances and I print him off a financial statement which he probably doesn't comprehend, anyway, except he can at least see that we have nothing in the 'liability' column. 8) I have always handled our finances, at any rate. I think I mentioned before that when I first met him he had a box in his apartment full of unopened bills! :shock:

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Once again I am amazed at how spot-on your posts are- I could have written almost any of them about Ken. He obsesses about very little now, but not so long ago he carried a toothbrush in every pocket and continually brushed his teeth. His mom had to hide her toothbrushes in her bedroom cuz Ken would cruise by her bathroom and take them. He also obsessed about his wallet and hid it several times a day. That is mostly what our days consisted of: looking for Ken's wallet. And razors, and continually shaving, but mostly one spot that would get very irritated until I had to hide the razors and tell him they were charging. And the finances. No bank was to be trusted so he would log onto the bank accounts continually to check account balances. Of course, numbers were one of the first obvious problems, so I had to gently take over paying the bills, etc. And, he would forget how to get onto the websites so I would have to be called in to log him on, and he got locked out (too many failed password attempts) on a daily basis so we'd have to call and get them to clear him again. All so sad but it definitely brings a smile to my face to think of all the places I've found the hidden wallet and the stashed toothbrushes. One day at a time! Sher

Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:41 am

interesting thread... hubby has many of the same obsessions.. razor, wallet.. but right up there with them.. is paper.. he moves and looks at all papers and then hides it... normally they are shopping lists, mail, newspaper, etc.. any thing paper.. so much of our time, is spent looking for these.. hes very creative on where he hides them... :lol:
the other is taking a kleenex/tissue and wiping up little spots in the floor .. whether it needs it or not.. this happens over and over...all day long...

since we are still not sure about lewy, being the diagnosis, is this obession thing across the board, on all dementias????
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, papers, too! I print off 'important documents' for him and he has fun moving them from place to place, much as our dog does with a favorite bone.

Yes, I think these types of behaviors are common to all dementias.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:30 am

'...much as a dog does with a bone....' Absolutely! Well said!

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Cindi,
Obsessions occur in many dementias and in many psychiatric illnesses. It is not exclusive to Lewy Body Dementia.
Robin

Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Post Re: Obsessions - clothing
Dale just came out of the bedroom after his nap with an armful of his own clothing.

His complaint? "Nothing fits me." The problem is that he is having much more difficulty now dressing himself. So rather than admit to that he has a problem there, he has decided it is the fault of the clothing.

Of course it is..... :evil:

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next