View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Obsessions 

Well, we have some fun? times, too. Like the other night he said, "If you'll pay for me tonight, I'll pay for you tomorrow." We were watching TV and when I said, "Pay for what?" he said, "The lights, so they'll stay on." The TV, I'm guessing. Then he said I needed to put peanut butter in the remote control so it would work. Most of the time, he wants to change the batteries in it, tries to put a nine volt in where the AA batteries belong. And these are the GOOD times, because the rest of the time, he just stares, doesn't communicate, seems agitated, or worried. Oh, and another cute one. Someone brought us a prayer shawl and he picked it up and put it close to his face and yelled, "God, are You there?" I loved it. Said, "He's always here, honey."
Judy

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm glad you have some good times. For the last year or so, my dad has lost his sense of humor, his upbeat, caring, social self. There is no laughing, he is extremley unhappy, tells me he's in jail, and 99% of the time complains. We have few normal conversations. Maybe once a month he'll say a sentence or two that approaches "normalcy" in the sense that he isn't complaining or demanding. It is very sad to see how he's had such a total personality change.
You are lucky there are funny things you two can laugh about together. I wish my dad and I could laugh.....

Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Post Obsessions
mockturtle
I wonder if the electric razor manufacturers have some secret deal going.....
We too have 3 razors, all in good condition but none doing the "right" job.
Then the telephone system is hopeless - never seems to dial the right numbers or cuts out when hubby answers it. We put in an expensive new intercom but that is worse. Then we insist on wearing a cap all the time - as soon as we are out of bed in the morning until last thing at night - very embarassing with visitors who remove theirs when coming inside, but ours stays firmly in place! Then there are the numerous pairs of glasses and hearing aids - always been moved and hidden by that gremlin that lives under the bed I think..................and I won't even talk about the TV remotes- they are deliberately made to confuse. Happy days - if you don't laugh you cry and that is no help either!!!

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:34 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yes - an electric razor conspiracy! It's at the heart of all the problems! Yes, you just have to laugh at some of this stuff to keep from crying or beating your own head against the wall. May everyone have at least one good laugh about something today! (not necessarily LBD related either) Lynn

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:28 am

I think all men with dementia should grow beards!! Well, I guess they'd get pretty messy, at least if they eat like my husband does, nowadays. :wink:
Besides, shaving has taken on monumental importance. Shaving will be the last thing he gives up!

Ah, TV remotes. There are two things I seem to spend most of my days doing: Pulling him out of his chair and changing channels on the TV. I do have a really simple remote he can use for turning off and on, changing volume level, etc. and muting but he's not able to change channels with it. He always wants to watch TV but can't follow the progam, anyway, and loses interest within fifteen minutes, and wants me to find out 'what else is on'. TV is probably not the ideal activity, but I need to get some things done and it keeps him occupied for a few minutes.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:24 am

Post Obsessions
Mockturtle
You sound as if your husband is very similar to mine- the razors, the TV remotes, the telephone - all are totally geared by the manufacturer to be difficult and confuse. I have to reset the TV several times a day and when I ask what was on the news? not a clue! I had a complete new phone system installed and all the poor agent has received is abuse because it is useless.......... yet we are wedded to being able to talk on the phone and he sounds absolutely normal. Now it is an embarrassment to meet new people - they are given ones life history in 5 minutes and invited for meals, etc even though they are total strangers. Then there are hearing aids - currently we have two sets and are about to get more next week. Granted he is very deaf, but he pokes and fiddles the ones he has until they are virtually wrecked.
So our day comprises finding the right glasses, finding the lost hearing aids and cleaning same, organising the TV and then a video because there is nothing understandable on the TV, getting re-dressed because we started back to front .................happy days!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

Yes, every piece of equipment is 'defective'. The other day it was his four-wheeled walker. He demanded that I take it in for service because it wasn't operating properly. He said it speeds up when he uses it. Of course, I'm always with him when he walks and, what happens is, he starts to lean further and further over and that starts the momentum. But I couldn't get that across to him. He insisted I use it, which I did, and it didn't 'speed up'. Now, when he starts to lean too far, I just grab the front of the walker and hold that pesky beast steady.

Thinking back to long before he was ever diagnosed, there was always something wrong with everything--including me, of course. :lol: I guess it's a defense mechanism. After all, it couldn't be HIM.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 am

Post TV, Phones, Etc.
The last TV that I bought new from a store for my LO, I chose it entirely because the remote control was simple. It was the oldest TV in the store because the older ones were simpler. DVD tape player, same thing. Now, however, I've gotten so fed up with the tv that I refuse to touch her tv anymore. I don't have a tv personally and she knows it, so I tell my LO that I don't know how to work her tv. She is in an ALF so if she wants to watch a tv she can go to a community room. Of course, they watch I Love Lucy tapes over and over. The alzheimer's patients love it. Always new to them.

On phones, when she was losing her ability to dial a normal phone we tried: (1) a phone with phone numbers set in memory keys, (2) a phone with really big numbers, (3) a photophone with photos next to a button that dials the person in the photo, (4) a phone where the photo is on a big button and you just push it. All of these phones now live in my attic. She never did figure out how to work them. Dashed hopes. Now, I call someone on my cell and hand the phone to her. I really need to donate all those other phones.

By the way, we disconnected the brakes on my LO's 4-wheeled walker because she would grab the brake handles by mistake (she often can't find the real handles) and set the brake. Then she thinks the walker has broken down on her or someone broke it because the brakes are on and it throws her into a paranoid delusion. She is so relieved that we "fixed" it.

I'm thankful that she doesn't have to shave. As it is I'm handy with a pair of tweezers. Never thought I would ever do that!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 am

Oh I can so relate Annie! I wish someone had handed me a manual when I was about 22 on "How to care for aging parents".
Re: the tv - my dad somehow resets the code on his tv remote, so it is constantly "broken". I am not a mechanical person at all, so last time I was there I changed the batteries in the remote. That didn't work so I gave up and told him it was broken. (it was only a few months old) Luckily my husband, the engineer, realized what was wrong for the forty-eleventh time and managed to find the code and reset it. I am absolutely brainless when it comes to electronic things. Oh boy, what MY kids have to look forward to with me! LOL

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

Post Obsessions
My husband also has broken many electric shavers and now I keep it away from him. He likes to clean them and then they don't work. He wears two watches one on each wrist. That makes me laugh. He said he didn't go to work today and that he wants the cat to leave or stay in it's room all day. My caregiver is upset and says I need to get rid of my 10 year old cat. No one wants her except me. Yes, everyday it is something different but my husband likes to read the paper and I found him some books he is interested in reading. He sleeps most of the day but I'm glad he is in my home for now and having a quality life. The nursing home I would have to put him in one day in the future makes me feel awful for those people. They don't talk and just stare at things. I guess not much goes on in their lives since Lewy Body Dementia or Alzheimer has entered their brains. I am going to put Bob on aricept again and see if I notice any difference in his thinking or behavior. God bless you all. We do our very best and one day we may be in this situation.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Post Obsessions
I also forgot to tell you all that my husband is hard of hearing so when he calls me at work I try to tell him things that upset my caregiver like the cat. I spell cat out on the phone and he says clock and I say no cat and he continues to not understand me. Finally I give up since my co-workers probably hear me spelling cat several times and say have a good day and good bye. He has a lot of dreams that he thinks are real and will tell me that someone called and is coming over to check on him and that we have to keep the doors closed to be safe. We have a doberman who most people are afraid of. It has been interesting going along with his stories and not arguing with him. I try to keep a sense of humor and give him lots of hugs and touching. He seems to crave physical affection. I will be sad when he no longer makes me laugh or can't talk anymore. I know God understands what is happening and will give us all wisdom each day to do what is best for our loved ones. I do lose my temper when he doesn't wear his Depends and can't make it to the bathroom. He just stares at me when I yell so it does no good and only makes me feel guilty. I don't want anyone yelling at me if I do this when I'm older. Have a great day!! :D

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Post Re: Obsessions
Hello, I just joined today. I am my dad's health care PoA. My dad was diagnoses with LBD and Parkinson's a few years back. Mom was his care giver and passed away in February this year. We, my brother, sister and I have tried many things with dad. Living at home alone with Home Health, living with me and had Home Health. He currently is an assisted living facility and has Home Health several hours a day.

We moved dad to the ALF in Fort Lauderdale, FL as he was insistent that he live in Florida (I am in Illinois), and he now is closer to my sister (5 miles) and my brother (a few hours). He constantly calls them multiple times every day about his car (which we took away), the palm tree out his window (he wants to cut it down) and various other ramblings. He calls me once in a while but when I tell him I am in Illinois he hangs up.

Is there a solution/phrase/trick that anyone found for these obsessions? I've communicated to Home Health to get him "out" to the store, shopping, driving, daily, as this was something dad did. It doesn't seem to help.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:55 pm

The Alzheimer's Association (alz.org) has a very good pamphlet on dealing with these sorts of problems. Basically you want to try to figure out what the source of the concern is, and redirect, redirect, redirect.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 pm

The first 6 months my dad was in ALF he had a cell phone and a land line. He called me anywhere from a handfull of times per day to several dozen calls per day. I almost went crazy!!! Just as I was about to ask the ALF to take his cell phone from him after dinner, till breakfast, it got washed by mistake in the laundry there. I never replaced it, felt guilty , but didn't replace it. By the time this happened he was no longer able to dial a phone by himself, so the land line didn't get used. The reduction in phone calls really helped my mental health, bigtime.
Perhaps you can work with the people at the ALF so phone calls can be limited. They have probably dealt with this situation with others and my have a number of suggestions for you. Remember, you and your siblings need to do what you have to do to keep yourselves from getting burned out. Your LO may get angry, but you do have to take care of yourselves too.
I was reading through the old postings under this topic - my dad is asking for a new electric razor again! He can't even hold one anymore! Lynn

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Wow! I'm new here. . . One of my Dad's obsessions is his Electric Razor: it's broken and doesn't work right. He constantly dis-assembles it & lines up the pieces on his desk. We've sort of made an "activity" for him of dis-assembling things. He also obsesses that his wheel chair is "broken" (He's not rolling it with both hands and gets frustrated) I got some magnets from my children's toys to put on the arm handles & he seems amused to "work" on moving them/fix them and he seems to enjoy the noise them make. He also does a thing with his hand as if he's "rolling an imaginary string". His hand twitches and it seems he's "testing the feeling" in his hand.

He also worries about water, rain, and flooding.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next