View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Obsessions 

Post Obsessions
What does your Lewy Love obsess about? With mine, it's:
1. Shaving [we've bought three electric shavers in the past five months, and not one of them 'works properly'. :?
2. Time. Even though his sense of time is totally distorted, he's constantly asking me what time I have and looking at his watch.
3. Combing his hair.
4. Delusive scenarios. Every evening he gets the same delusions and he won't be distracted from them. He demands answers to impossible questions about them. [I don't know--can one be obsessed about a delusion?]

Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 pm

Well, Mom's obsess about going to the bathroom, and combing her hair and my husband. lol
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Post my dad's obsessions
1. shaving - insists I didn't buy him 2 new electric razors recently. Wants a new one.
2. when the next meal is, who is going to take him to the dining room.
3. why isn't the football game on (it's half time! or he's changed the channel and doesn't know how to get back to the right channel)
4. why isn't someone taking him to the bathroom (he just went a min. ago)
#2,3 & 4 sometimes precipitate as many as 30 phone calls to me and my husband in a period of 2 hours. Now that the asst'd living place washed his cell phone in the laundry we are not getting the calls because he's forgotten how to use a landline.
Do any of you get constant phone calls some days/nights?

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 pm

That is so funny the same obsessions he has too.
1. shaving- looses razor, had to buy 3 electric razors recently. Love the one I have now, works so good. It was worth loosing them to come across this one.
2. Time- no sense of time but knows what time I tell the caregiver I'll be home from work and even senses when I'm 5 min late.
3. Combing Hair
4. Fiddling with his wedding ring, loosing it, finding it and then I lost it and got him another. Now he fiddles all day long but if I take it off obsesses where it is over and over.
5. His "job". wants to know what his job is for the day.,
My mom used to call me tons of times a day, she also had lbd and macular deg. till she forgot how to use the phone.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 am

Lorraine

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Post cell phone
I'm still debating about whether or not to get my dad another cell phone. He appears to be ok without it, every few days mentions to someone that he thinks he lost it.
Is it worth my mental and physical health to replace it? I just go nuts when I get call after call. I don't like to turn it off because my kids call me on it. And I REALLY feel guilty if my dad calls me with the speed dial and I choose to not answer.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm

LTCVT, I wouldn't replace the cell phone. When my husband was in the hospital, he phoned me all hours of the night. I'd just get home from visiting him, falling into bed and getting to sleep, when 'ring, ring...'. He'd always say, "Oh, hi!", as if he hadn't seen me in weeks. :roll:

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:49 pm

That's what people at my support group told me yesterday too. It is so hard to let go of guilt, isn't it?
My dad also was sleeping with his cell phone and either he was rolling over on it so it "butt dialed" people, or he unknowingly was hitting his speed dials and calling me, my husband, my sister and his friend Jack in the middle of the night. Then he usually wouldn't say anything, so we'd figure he was having a stroke or something and call the front desk. It was a mess.
I just need moral support in not feeling guilty about not giving it back to him. Thanks!

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

The razor is a Philips Norelco 7737X. It has these cartridges you put in and it doesn't irritate the skin. I liked it before I knew what the cartridges were about. It just shaves closer and faster than the last 3 I had. Now mind you, the last three were not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. I really am so glad he lost the other ones to force me into getting this one. Plus I got a great deal, I think, on Craigslist. The guy hadn't even opened it and sold it to me for $25! Thank you Lorrd
Hope you can find one and that it's not too much and works on your hubby or dad.
Hugs, Lori

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:04 am

Frank has 4 razors, one's for just trimming, but the others we shave with, when we can find them, and MY favorite is also the Philips, Norelco with 3 rotary blades. I don't remember what I paid but I think it was over $100. but whatever I paid it has been worth every penny. I hate shaving him but if we're going out I make sure he has a clean shave.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:02 am

Seems they all have symptoms in common...my LO had those too. :roll: We went through many razors also...guess stock in those companies are doing well???? His last razor was a Braun...came with a machine you put the razor in and it self cleans and recharges. It gave a really close shave and fast. His barber also told me to get a shave oil. Came in a little bottle. You rub a few drops on the face prior to shaving and it helps give a very close shave without chafing the skin.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks. We have 2 Norelco and I always use Lectric shave. They just don't seem to cut it - pun intended :D . Sometimes I use an electric and then a regular razor. My husband was always meticulous when it came to shaving and he always did a close shave. Now he tells me the regular razors are pulling. Can't win.
Lorraine

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Post Paid care
For those of you whose LO is in assisted living or nursing home care, do the caregivers there shave the person? I was astonished when my dad was first in a nursing home that no one seemed to bother about him shaving, so when he asked about shaving (at the time I had brought razors and shaving cream), I asked a caregiver if she could shave my dad. She said "I don't like to do that. Call me if you need help." and walked out of the room.
After I picked my lower jaw up off the floor, I took him in his wheelchair into the br and shaved him myself. Didn't do such a bad job for first time, but it made me wonder what would happen once I had to leave and come back home (500 mi. between us). A few days later I bought him elec. razors 1 & 2.
I don't think the folks at the asst'd living place help him with shaving either - I think his friends and I do all of it. Isn't that one of the things we are paying $165 a day for?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm

For a while Johnny obsessed with toothbrushes. We have about 6 or 7 out now. He would look at them and say they were no good and he needed a new one, so I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of 6 for a dollar. He's way past that now. He just brushes the front two teeth (sometimes) and then I brush them for him, if he'll open his mouth. And shaving has to be with a regular razor, because the noise from an electric razor scared him. And I've been doing the shaving at the kitchen table after breakfast for months. He can no longer do it himself (or dress himself.) Somehow we learn to do things we thought we'd never have to. We just improvise, don't we? And we bathe in the shower together, well I do the bathing, he just hangs onto me or occasionally tries to bathe me. And if the poop comes out, he is oblivious to it. I, too, wonder how much longer this can go on, but I just keep thanking God for being with us and helping us through it.
Judy

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Oh Judy, how heartbreaking. You and the other direct caregivers are saints in my book! I hope you can take good care of yourself too. You need a rest and some fun once in a while. Lynn

Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next