View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Capgras Syndrome 

Oh Tammy! I will have you in my prayers during the coming weeks! Sometimes He provides for us at the very moment it is required.--Pat

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, [and] rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:30 pm

My wive's episodes of thinking I am someone else have increased. About 2 weeks ago when she was int he ER for Vertigo she went downhill. Something has happened to her. She has no interest in anything, sleeps some during the day and up most of the night. She calls me by my son's name, may deceased father and her deceased father's name. Her blance is completely off and it's hard to hold her. Monday she is to have some procedure that is supposed to help for the Vertigo. I jst hope and pray and by some miracle that will cure other problems.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I just discovered a benefit of Capgras! This morning I lost my temper and yelled at him. :( Of course, I felt terrible about it and apologized. But if he happens to remember it, I can always say it was the other me that did it! :wink:

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Post Vertigo
Mariesmac, I have no direct experience with vertigo. However, from what I have read there is a procedure that involves a tilting of the head in a specific way that moves "crystals" in the inner ear back into place. If this happens, the vertigo is resolved, quickly. Perhaps that is what will happen on Monday. What I have experienced is that when there is a physical problem with my LO it affects her mental state. I hear your anguish and hope along with you that if the physical problem is fixed the mental problems will become more normal, whatever normal is to your wife.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Post Annien
Thanks. That is the procedure they are supposed to do. It supposedly repositions the dislodged crystals in the inner ear. God how I hope this takes care of that and the dizziness and sleep problems. She actually slept for 10 hours last night with no bathroom calls. Seems ok this morning except still somewhat leary if we actually live here. Thanks again.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:11 am

I had vertigo and went through the procedure myself. It Works! :D

Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Wel, My wife went to her primary Neurologist and he said she doesn't have Positional vertigo and would not perform the procedure. He wrote her a script for PT for Vertigo and says she has possible BVP! The treatment is the same for both. Sometimes I would like t scream! All they do is send you around the horn.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:27 pm

Post Vertigo
Well it has been 2 weeks now that my wife has been going to PT for Vertigo. The Physical Therapist knew more then the Doctor did! Her dizziness is gone and so is the Vertigo. She still has reservations about sleeping in the bed and even being upstairs. Sleeping in recliners but now she is having trouble sleeping! Sleeps one night for 10 hours and then up for the next 2-3 all night long with hallucinations!

Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:48 pm

I've always had great care from PTs when I've needed them. Sounds like you are having a lot of challenges with the sleep/not sleep issue. Hope you get something resolved soon. Lynn

Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Post Re: Capgras Syndrome
My MIL does not recognize herself in recent photos taken of her. She will ask who the person in the photos is. Is this a sign of Capgras syndrome? This is a recent thing.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:57 pm

No, this is a memory problem.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi, I'm new here, and when I read the term capgras I had to look it up-and lo and behold, never knew it had a name- my husband used to be convinced there were imposters of me, he'd lift my shirt to look for a mole I have to make sure he had the real me. He doesn't do it so much anymore, might be the Seroquel?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:32 am

It's nice to see that there is a topic about this here. My mom knows and recognizes me and my brother. She gets very confused over who my dad is, and her story about who he is has changed a lot throughout the past 2 years (since her diagnosis). I remember one night I was sitting with her in her bedroom watching TV and I could tell she was anxious about something. I asked her if she was ok and she said, "I don't know what I'm going to do. I have these 3 men that want me, and I don't know who to pick." I giggled, grabbed her hand and said, "Well mom, betcha didn't know you were such a hot commodity, huh?" That relieved her stress for the moment, and then it was forgotten. Now, there aren't 3 dads. There is just this man that came to live with us.

In the beginning, I did try to correct her. I find that now the best thing I can do when she starts talking about who/what/where my dad is, is to just listen.

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 am

True story: On the way to church today, Dale suddenly said, "I've never asked you how old you are."

I replied that I'm the same age he is and we've been married for 27 years. Then, he said, "But you look only 50."

After a few seconds of silence, Dale finally said, "That's capgras, isn't it?" :P

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Awww, Leone -

That's priceless! You look 50!

A couple of months ago I got about 6 inches of my hair cut off (I used to just pull it all up and out of the way) and got a different style and when I came home, Bill says, "You look 10 years younger!" They still know that flattery will get them EVERYWHERE!

We went out today to run a few errands and Bill was telling me how hard it is to buy his wife a Christmas gift cause she is always there. I said, "You know I'm your wife" and he said, "Yes". Whew!

Karen

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next