View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Capgras Syndrome 

Post Re: Capgras Syndrome - Karen
Karen:

A couple of weeks ago, Dale turned to me in bed and said, "Are either of you ladies married?"
(All sorts of answers occurred to me.... After all, we were all three in bed!)

Just a week ago, he said, "I don't know how I'm going to buy Christmas gifts for you ladies."

Every time, he helps to set the table, he asks, "Are all of you staying for dinner?" (I always borrow my stock answer from Pat. 'No, the other 30 are staying out in the bus.')

He obviously has a harem.... :lol:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Post Re: Capgras Syndrome
You are too funny! Glad you can find some humor in all of this. Lynn

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:24 pm

My husband Charlie has just been placed into a dementia ALF. For some time he has had Capgras syndrome which varies somewhat but usually manifests as 3 of us, sometimes wives, sometimes not. He does not know where his wife of 47 years is.

That hasn't been a big deal because he doesn't appear distressed by it, and I don't take it personally.

My question that some of you may have the experience to answer: If I am not the real wife, but was the 24/7 caretaker for almost 2 years, what will be my role as his emotional life becomes more dependent upon the ALF staff with my presence being significantly reduced? Will I just sort of fade out as insignificant?

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:21 am

Gail, my husband has been in a SNF for a little over a month now. Prior to his placement, he had Capgras all the time. I was never his wife, always impostors, paid caregivers, etc. Oddly, now he does seem to recognize me as his wife, although he doesn't know my name. Strange but true! And rather nice! :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 am

Gail,
I can't give you a certain answer to this queation but I think one of the strangest parts of LBD is they seem to remain more in the know than other dementia's, My husband had this Capgras from time to time never was constant but I can tell you for sure he knew each and everyone of us in the end, he had real concerns for us as a family after he left so that leads me to believe somewhere deep down there they know who we are !

Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3