View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Capgras Syndrome 

Post Capgras Syndrome
How many of your LO's have Capgras Syndrome, and how--if so--do you handle it? My husband has had it for over a year now. It used to be sporadic, but is now pretty constant.

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:44 pm

We've been dealing with capgras for 3 years. He thinks there are 3 of me, his wife, the young one and the other one. The wife runs around and the other two are left home to take care of him. I've asked if he has ever seem more than one at a time and he hasn't. One runs into another room before the next comes in and they wear uniforms, just so they can play tricks with his mind. A dozen time a day he'll ask where one of them is and I just say there are only two people that live here, you and me. He has such a dislike for me and seems to delight in being nasty so the capgras is way down the bottom of the list of worries. They say try to go along with them and redirect, that doesn't work here, he knows I'm redirecting and thinks I'm doing that to cover up. He has taken such a decline in the last month that it's almost impossible to communicate with him. My New Year's resolution is to mop up the drool with a smile :D :D . At least I'll try.

Good Luck,

Gerry

Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow, that sounds very familiar! When I attended an Alzheimer's Support Group, we were told not to 'argue' with them, too, but going along with the delusions can backfire in LBD, I find! He will catch me in a verbal inconsistency, even when he can't remember his own name!

My husband was a research scientist--he holds a PhD in biochemistry--and, while his executive function is practically nil, he can still be surprisingly sharp at times. You can never assume anything with him. :?

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 pm

There was me and my twin sister (which I do not have). And some times I was my brother, and other times I was Frank. But when he saw me as Karen, his wife, I was always the mean crabby one!

At that time, he also accused me of having an affair with his hallucination/delusional people and wanted a divorce. One night at bedtime, he told me "We're through! I will call the attorney in the morning!"

That was over a year ago. It was awful.

Karen

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:29 pm

So, are you saying things have actually gotten better? In what ways?

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Hope my response isn't too late. I have been away from the forum for a little while.
My mom has experienced Capgras Syndrome and each time she had these episodes her Primary Care Physican discovered she had a UTI and treated her with Cipro (I think) and her symptoms went away. Her UTI's were frequent enough that her doctor put her on a low grade antibiotic daily.
When she had her episodes she was convinced my dad had a twin. He looked like him and drove his car and wore his clothes. She would kick him out of bed on those nights. We have not seen that in awhile.
Hope things are okay with your LO.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:02 pm

We just saw the urologist and they got a specimen and it was apparently OK. He has had several UTI's since he's had LBD, though. I know infections can worsen these symptoms.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:09 pm

I went through Capgrass with my mother. It started when she didn't recognize me for who I was, and in my misguided efforts to reassure her that I was her daughter, I showed her my birth certificate. She saw my father's name on it (but didn't notice her own), and I instantly became my father's illegitimate daughter. It upset her tremendously to think there was such a person.

For months, we went back and forth. Sometimes, she'd even ask me which one I was. It didn't seem to strike her as strange that we both had the same name, not to mention looking alike.

And yes, like others, she'd picked up on the inconsistencies in my answers whenever I tried to play along and there was no distraction for her. She obsessed over those details and how everyone knew about the other me except her.

I speak of this in the past tense. She may still be going through it, but she can't speak an intelligible sentence any more and hasn't spoken my name in close to a year so I can't tell.

Garnet

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Garnet, I think that's one of the big differences in dealing with Alzheimer's dementia vs. LBD: You can't 'play along' with the LBD delusions without risking being caught in a trap. Their memory is not uniformly bad--even their short-term memory. It's shocking sometimes what my husband will remember! Sometimes, it seems like he forgets some things on purpose, but I guess he probably doesn't. It's just that his memory is extremely erratic and unpredictable.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Erratic and unpredictable - that about sums up LBD symptoms, doesn't it?I

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Pat, Yesterday our youngest son who had eaten lunch with us was getting ready to leave. My husband said (as clear as could be) "Hey, N. have you seen Lorraine?" N. said "Mom is right there" and pointed to me. Bob looked at me but I do not know if he recognized me. Sometimes I do play along, but at night if he continuously asks for Lorraine, I will tell him I am Lorraine. Sometimes in response he will tell me I am lying. I do not think there is a way to win on this one or any easy answers.
Lorraine

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 am

I have been away for awhile. Just dealing with my mom. Fighting depression....Anyway I have always wondered what capgras was. Now I know. Mom has it all the time. She is always looking for the babyor the children or going in her room or around the house to find them, who ever them is. Her words don't even make sence anymore.

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Post post subject
Oh Tammy,
Just wanted to let you know we are all thinking of you and I will pray for you and your mother. This is so hard. I can tell by reading your posts that you are a very good daughter.
Mary

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Take care of yourself Tammy. You, your mom and the rest of your family depend on you being healthy, so please give yourself breaks and try to squeeze in some fun. Have you seen your dr. about your depression? I'm glad I finally did. I can deal with all this a lot better now. Lynn

Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Still tring the hospice, if not them tring ot find private caregivers. We have had a vaction reserved since last year. It is in the mountains in NC. We suppose to leave Easter morning. We are truly leaning on the Lord to show us how we still can go. I thought it would of been a respite care stay at Hospice but now... I do not know anyone that can stay here for a week. I finally had a good cry Tuesday. I have not been able to that this whole time.
Mom does still see her babies and animals, she ask me questions when she is in the moddle of a conversation in her head and i just say yes mom. lol. We just don't get out anymore unless it is for a doctor visit. Just to hard on her mentaly. I know the Lord will find us a way to do this. I just hang on to Him. Hang on tightly!!!!!!

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next