View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 How to amuse Mom Toys?? 

Post How to amuse Mom Toys??
My Mom is in a care facility. She spends quite a bit of time in her room, she is physically very very well, but can not operate a TV (although they have one in the common area). We took away her phone because she was always unplugging it, or leaving it off the hook, and besides she is pretty much at the word salad stage. She likes music but we have had to remove her CD player. She broke one, and the second one the staff found her sticking hangers into. She used to like puzzles, and will sit and watch me do puzzles.
Her big problem is she fiddles with stuff. She takes napkins and facial tissue and folds them up and puts them into boxes, she takes all the puzzles and mixes them them together and uses the boxes for folded up pillow cases, shirts or more folded napkins ..
I recently brought in a lot of pictures for her to fiddle with.
My questions are 1) has anyone tried toys?? I was wondering if those nesting boxes they have for toddlers might be appropriate? If someone has had success with toys which ones worked?
2) Does anyone know of an indistructable CD player??
Thanks

Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Post Toys....
That's a great idea...about the nesting toys of toddlers. We're in the same place with our mom...although she's still at home, she folds things over an over..Today, she asked my niece if she could fold her bologna sandwich with her blanket!! Not so much a good idea! We find towels in her dresser and my dad's dresser...

I did put together a small plastic box of stuff from the "junk drawer" that wouldn't be dangerous to her. We've yet to see any activity with it, but there's still hope! We are having to "Mamaw proof" the house because she does the same thing with the telephone, DVD's, remote, et al.

Thanks for the suggestion...we're up for anything to keep her occupied. I'm going to try to find a post on the violence, but if I can't find one, I'll start a whole new post as it's a whole new area for us.

Nita

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Sunny-if you do a search on Amazon or Google for children cd players - there are several that look pretty indestructible...maybe that's the way to go?
Good luck!

Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]