View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Leaning way over 

Post Leaning way over
I know when our LO walk they have some times what is the Lewy Lean, but since John was in the hospital he is leaning over a lot more. Like I said he walked into the ER doors at the hospital but due to increasing his Seroquil to 75 MG he then was leaning way over, like his head was to his knees. They then cut is Seroquil back to 25mg. He seemed to straighten up a little, but when he was sent over to the NH he arrived in the fetal position. Two days after his admittance they were able to get him to stand and walk a few steps, but then he lost that ability again. Yesterday at PT he couldn't comprehend how to move his feet. Today when I went over he was in a wheel chair and totally bend over again, which of course makes it impossible to feed him right. I made them put him in the Gerry chair, for more support. I don't recall reading in past post if other have had this behavior. So I am looking for input.

B

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I hope this reply is posting. Could your loved one have a UTI? My mother-in-law had a bad UTI and forgot how to walk and how to carry on a conversation. We had to call an ambulance when we could not get her out of the bed. When we got to the ER we found out she had a bad UTI. She came around after antibiotics.

Joyce K

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:38 pm

When he was in the hospital I had them check for it then, they checked twice and all was ok. I am at a lose.

B

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Unbelievable...I came home from the facility and went in to my computer to ask a question on the forum... to my surprise found this topic, LEANING. I have heard of the Lewy Lean, Tony leans to the right, I think because he is left handed, I know most seem to lean to the left. He has been doing it on and off and he is really getting worse. When I walk him I have to put my shoulder behind his right shoulder to try and get him not to fall over. Is this a typical LBD trait and how bad does it get? Any info would be helpful. He is not in a wheelchair and I am thinking this might put him in one. Never could figure out a walker.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:53 pm

For some reason many LBD'ers can't use a walker, and by pass it and use a wheel chair, we had a walker in our home that houses the newspaper, my husband just couldn't figure it out and we tried 3 different types the one with wheels and brakes was the worst, because of the lean there were many falls because you just couldn't hold him up and the was a few times I just had to let go or we would have both been on the floor and that's when a we started using a wheelchair, in the house we had a transport chair and a reg wheel chair on the outside.
Good Luck!

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:18 pm
Profile WWW

Irene, thanks for the reply. I am thinking about using a wheelchair but the question is which one. When Tony goes to sit down he simply falls backwards, does not bend, and I am concerned about him and the wheelchair going over. For that reason I am thinking a transport chair would not be sturdy enough. Why do they lean so bad, is it the parkinsons part of his disease? He was diagnosed with LBD with parkinsonism, joints really crunch now.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 am

Post Leaning
Just read post on leaning, Bob does this sometimes and when he does is difficult to straighten him. We use gate belt when he is wheelchair he tends to slide down, the gate belt helps when sitting. He is unable to walk much almost not at all and we are careful when transfer from recliner to wheelchair. We just have to do the best we can with this LBD and everyday is a new day. Today Bob is having a sleeping day, was getting too active and had to give him Ativan so far he is quiet but not sleeping. Blessings to all Pauline :D

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 am

My husband also tends to lean forward, and he has fallen several times as a result. Still I found it important enough to keep trying.

It can be helpful to have some training, e.g. with a PT on how to go about walking with a walker. Even though he can barely move his feet (one in particular is almost out of order), with the training he has learned to push the walker a little, walk into it, rest, push it again, walk, rest, etc. It takes him a long time to cross a room, and of course when the floor covering changes, it disturbs his concentration. I still think it is worth encouraging him to walk and not to be totally dependent on the wheelchair. The exercise, such as it is, is better than nothing, and it's important for digestion and general wellbeing. Of course someone has to be with him just in case.

I hope I'll be able to keep helping him, or have someone help him. He once was a wonderful walker, and had excellent posture -- no back problems. It is painful to see him now...I think I suffer more than he does.

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:52 am

Sometimes GW will lean to the left and sometimes to the right--- sometimes not at all. Leaning usually happens If he gets over tired . He is currently sleeping most of the day and all night. Neurologist suggested Provigil to help stay awake at daytime. Don't want to over do it so just 1/2 pill for starting.
He uses the walker for 1st toilet use in AM- I have to steer, and adjust speed to his ability to walk. at other times he just carries the walker, or I lead him by hand. Either way he will "freeze" occasionally, unable to move-I encourage a "big step" to get him out of that.
-----getting more difficult to be able to help.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:09 pm

Post Leaning
Thank you for input on leaning. Bob has stopped the leaning. Still very difficult to transfer from wheel chair to recliner and visa versa. Bob is unable to stand or try to walk. One thing is low blood pressure which he takes Midodrine twice a day and that helps and Adivan three times a day, this keeps him relaxed and more restful which is very much needed, he can get very active and wanting to do so things he just cannot do. He doesn't have UTI, I know they can cause some problems, been there also! I just keep praying for him, don't know how much longer he can thru this. I just keep trusting The Lord. Thank you again for input, Blessing to all Pauline :)

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm

Dad sleeps sitting up/leaning - either to the left or forward. I so worry he's going to pitch over and hurt himself. Any attempt to try to ease him back--is met with resistance.
He IS having a lot of trouble moving forward. Steve could not get him to stop putting his head between the elevator doors Friday - which ticked off the other folks trying to get upstairs.
Help?

Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:32 pm

My mom leans bad, her neck and head are always looking odwn it seems. When my husband ask to see her beautiful face she can just about stand up. I always have to ask her if she can bring her shoulders back as you taught me. She would try. she uses a walker most the time at home. She will sometimes though because of her legs not moving so fast and she freezes alot, the walker will almost get ahead of her. it caused her to fall at the nursing home she was in. We just got a transport chair from medicare. The doctor prescribed it. It is great. Light weight for me and alot more comftorble for her. I do try to have her walk as much as possible. Seems to be harder now for her. I have just ordered a belt for me from the alzimers store on line. Great store. It is a wider belt to help me mover her. Because as ya'll know moving them is totaly dead weight. My back will be glad when it gets here.
Tday is a new day!
Hopefully today will be a better day. :)
Thanks for listening,
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 am

You may want to try a vest type restrain backwards to help with the leaning forward but of course this only works while he is sitting in a chair, what about some PT for him might help some. The leaning is a real problem for many!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:03 am
Profile WWW

Wise decision getting a transport chair, when the walker stas to get ahead of them its often time to make the change and I am always surprised when people have walkers with wheels on them they seem to be the worst for this illness. Good Luck!

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 am
Profile WWW

I just read this post and can definitely see this problem with my husband. Eating is difficult because his face is parallel to the table and food falls right out of his mouth.

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next