View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 traveling 

It's so good to hear that you had an uneventful trip to FL. It's given me some confidence in doing the same. My concerns are many, but primarily I'm wondering how we will spend our days. After his mall trek each morning, he mostly just sits in front of the TV. He does some socializing with our neighbors, but beyond that he can't do much. And yes, I've tried so many things: puzzles, cards & getting him to sketch again. (Once he was very talented.) He doesn't like music & never was a dancer so I'm worried that all we will do in FL is sit around with minimal activity. His gait is still compromised & without a shopping cart to push, he's reluctant to do much walking. I know I'm overly concerned, but your post has given me some hope. Sorry if I'm whining. I know so many of you have far greater issues to deal with. Dee

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:43 am

Post post subject
Dee. No you aren't whining. I see you are from Ohio. Didn't you get that last blizzard?
We had a blizzard in Wis the week before we left. 17 inches of snow and -8 degrees. That was enough for me to at least try to go south. I know we sit in the apartment down here a lot more than we used to, but Paul can still walk. We have well lit walking paths at the retirement community we live at. It was designed for retired letter carriers, which my husband is. He used to walk about 8 miles a day, when he worked, but we are lucky if we walk a half mile these days. His ankles are starting to swell so I think walking is our main priority at this time. We are at the point with him of the mild behavior problems and lack of attention. If I left him alone or if he was in a home, he would drift off into never, never land and I'm afraid I couldn't get him back. Some days it is so tiring to keep him busy and occupied that I get tired and just want to let him go there.
Now I feel like I am whining. Hang in there Dee and every one else in our situation. Next year might be all together different for us. In fact next month might be all different. We all care!
Mary

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Post traveling
Hello to all!
Just thought I would post a follow up to our trip to Florida. I posted before that every thing went really well on the trip down and how glad LO was when he saw all the familiar belongings.
I am very happy to report that things are still going well. We walk outside a couple times a day. Something we could not do in Wis in the winter. We don't have much of a social life other than that, but LO has never been a social butterfly. When we first got here, if we met someone, he would try to get me to hurry past them. Now he greets them with a big Hello. He is still very dependent on me. If I dare to step outside for a couple of minutes, he looks like he is stuck to the floor when I get back in and will say, "I didn't know where you were". Even though I had just told him.
Things seem to be in a very stable place for us now. No delusions, hallucinations, capgras etc. The big thing now is short term memory presenting of repeating things. Thats ok. I can handle that. I was care giver for my step mom and she had Alzeimers and repeating was a big thing with her.
I try to encourage him to do some type of word puzzle each day. Somedays I actually think he is getting some solved and other days I can clearly see he is not solving them correctly. Who Cares! At least he is trying. I even brought him to bingo one night. (he hates bingo) but he tried really hard. Of course I had to watch my cards and half of his cards. We didn't win but our minds were busy.
Well anyway, whomever is interested, things are going better than my expectations. Believe me if things get worse, we will be on the first plane home where his doctors are familiar with him.
Happy new year.
Mary

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 am

Although I would not choose to travel with my husband, it was necessary last spring for me to drive him from AZ to WA in our motor home. Almost everyone advised against it, but when I considered flying and what he might do or say on the flights and negotiating the inconvenient schedules, I discarded that idea right away. Going by car and staying in motels was equally impractical.

My biggest fear was that he wouldn't sleep, therefore I wouldn't sleep, and that I would be driving on two or three hours of sleep every day. The trip went surprisingly well. He slept till 4:00 AM every morning and we took several days to make the trip, with no adverse experiences. He rode in a seat-belted lounge chair so he was more comfortable than he would have been in a car.

Actually, the dog was more trouble--he hates the motor home and whined most of the way home.

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:48 am

Post traveling
I kind of worry about the flight back (whenever) for fear of what he might say or do, especially since the latest security fears.
We just might end up driving our car back. I hate to do that because its about 1500 miles. Flying is by far the safest and we can be home in 3 hours instead of 3 days. Not only that, if we drive that far I am afraid he will want to do some of the driving. We have been only using the car for short trips to shop etc. This way he agrees he doesn't need to do any of the driving. I can't remember when he drove last but I know one thing he is not ever going to drive again. I tell him he's still a good driver but the pills he takes makes his reactions too slow to drive. He's kind of ok with that but I can tell he gets a little sad acting.
Mary

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:59 am

I haven't posted in a long time..still healing and grieving over my LOs passing. Felt I could not help or hold others up till I was well on the path to feeling whole again. It will take time...its own time. I have accepted that.

Been lurking and reading the posts now and then. Its difficult and sad for me as I feel so deeply what you are going through. So glad you went to Fl Mary. Sounds like things are doing quite well for you...as well as can be expected. You are doing all of the right things...puzzles, bingo, walks, etc. Certainly much better than watching the blizzards in Wis. :) Like you say...one day at a time.

Happy New Year to all!!!
Dianne

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Post traveling
who ever might be interested:
My last post about traveling was in Jan. I am pleased to tell you that everything is still going really well here in Florida. No delusions or hallucinations. He has even started to converse with some of the people he feels comfortable with. Of course I get to listen to all his conversations and they are almost all the same. "Hello, nice weather, we could use some rain". :shock: but that is so much better when we got down here. At that time he would take my hand and start pulling like he was trying to avoid conversation.
We will try to stay down here until May 1 and then fly back to Wis. I am so glad I took the leap of faith and came down here. We are still making good memories.
Does anyone else's LO do this? He talks to himself all the time. He goes into the bathroom to shave and talks, and talks and talks to himself. He would like to shave several times a day and he spends at least an hour. Right now he is shaving again today, second time today and I can just hear him talking, talking, talking. I don't mind too much but just wondered if anyone else does that. I hate to complain because at first things were so bad I thought I was in Lewy Land. Things are better now and I hope they stay that way for a long time.
Thanks for listening
Mary

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Mary, Frank does talk to himself, I'll be in another room and go to see if he's talking to me, but he's not, just talking. He also carries on a one sided conversation in his sleep. One night I stood there to see if he was making sense because so often it's salad talk. For a while it didn't make sense to me, but they were actually words and then the salad talk started. One of Frank problems is drooling, some days it's non-stop so it's difficult to go out, I'm constantly watching so I can wipe. He says he cannot feel the drool going done his chin and if I say "wipe you mouth", it takes him so long to process what was said that it's on his shirt or the floor. I find the drool is MY most difficult part of this disease.

So glad that your vacation is going well, this is the first year we didn't go to Florida and never once did Frank imply that he wished we could have gone. We have a trip to Maine for the end of April, if we have a problem, we'll just come home, it's less than a 2 hr drive.

Continue to ENJOY!

Gerry

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:55 pm

My husband doesn't talk to himself. I talk to myself, though. A lot. After all, I'm the only one here who understands what I'm saying! :lol:

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Mary - So happy for you both that your winter in Florida went well even if the weather was pretty chilly for the sunshine state. We had talked about going for a couple months this past winter, but it just didn't work out.

Hubby also talks when he first goes to bed. He is talking to people he used to work with. Sometimes he even laughs!

Hey Pat - do you answer yourself too? :lol:

Karen

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey Pat - do you answer yourself too? Laughing
Why, sure! :wink:

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:35 pm

For those of us who talk to ourselves, of course we answer ourselves. We are the only ones with the right answers :lol:
Lorraine

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:52 pm

So glad to see all of you retaining your sense of humor. It sure helps get through those tough days.
My LO used to talk a lot too but I found he was talking to people he "saw".
I know what you mean about the drooling and also my LOs nose dripped a lot which is common with these diseases. He didn't feel it either. I was also wiping constantly.
Glad to hear things are a bit calm at this time in Lewyland.
Happy to hear your trip to Fl. is going well Mary. I'm so glad you went. It may be that your LO is feeling a bit chipper with the nice weather there. My LO did like yours...would pull my hand to get him away from conversation but he told me it was because he knew he didn't make sense at times and didn't want people to think he was stupid. :cry: Poor guy. When they are aware of what is going on it must be horrible for them. Give your LOs an extra hug today. :)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 am

Post trip to florida
Hi,
Just in case anyone is wondering, we are back in Wis from Florida. I am so glad we had the opportunity to go South again. The trip down and the trip back went really well. We had to come back two weeks early as my dear Aunt was going to heaven and I wanted to see her before she did. We arrived home on April 28. I was able to see my Aunt before she passed. My LO really did not want to come home and he didn't understand that Aunt Elsie was going to die. That was hard on me. I felt like between a rock and a hard place. The day after we arrived home and saw my Aunt, both my LO and I came down with a really nasty flu bug, (yes we had flu shots) horrible vomiting. Must have gotten it on the plane trip. I think the flu caused LO to become more confused than the traveling. Any how traveling is done until next winter (hopefully) Auntie is resting next to her husband in the cemetary and LO confusion is getting better again. I kept a journal and referred back to it. We are doing so well compared to a year ago. Mainly no hallucinations or delusions anymore. I will pray to keep things this way. We see the neurologist next month. I will be anxious to see if they do a mini mental test on him again and what the results will be. It is just a year since he has been started on Namenda.
Mary

Sat May 22, 2010 1:25 pm

So glad your trip went well. Our last winter south [2008-2009] didn't go so well and I'm very glad for both of you that yours did and that you were able to enjoy it.

About the 'flu'. The gastrointestinal viruses, like Norovirus [not really influenza], aren't prevented by the flu shots. The vaccine just covers the fever/aching/respiratory types of flu. A lot of people don't know that.

Sat May 22, 2010 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next