View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Falls 

Post Falls
Are any of your LO's experiencing falls or is another problem arising? He describes them as if he is being pushed in the back and then does a kind of 90 degree turn and falls down. Thanks.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 am

Eliza, Frank has been falling more lately but I think most of his falls are because he goes to take off but his feet are planted, he's always run every where he went and I think he just needs to remember after standing he has to wait for his feet to move first. I remind him about a dozen things a day so I don't think he hears me anymore. When he does listen, it takes him time to process and then it isn't even close to what I said. Most of the time it does make me smile.
Take Care,
Gerry

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 am

Falling is quite common in LBD. LBDers have lost the ability to "catch" themselves so they can't usually stop a fall once it's in process.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:36 pm

My poor Bob has had two falls in the last four weeks resulting in Emergency Room visits. Seems it happens when he transitions from walker to chair--now a no-no! I get him up and going, and settle him again. Like Robin says, he wants to put his arm out but can't get it there in time. He says his brain only works in slow motion.

"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.".....Thoreau

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Post falls
Mom has been falling since early on in lbd. She has trouble with balance, turning, transfers, orthostatis hypothension. She had several types of physical therpy that didn't help much. Mom had two bad falls even with our watching, reminders, pleading, scoulding. I read some where that if falling and breaking thier leg doesn't change thier actions, all the pleading,etc never will!! We have to realize that it's part of the dementia, they don't see thier limits. That's why when we leave the room they can jump out of thier chair, but when we are there it's hard for them to move. A good PT told me that for them THINKING about moving is the road block to moving. THINKING about how and where stops them, but when it's a quick "knee jerk" reaction they can move fine. That why we have to watch them none stop if we want to protect them from falling. They will never learn. My mom almost didn't make it back from a broken leg (partial hip replacement at 88) but now she is doing pretty well 90 yrs. old next month. Walks with us by her side always, with a walker or use a wheelchair when she's tired. I still get upset with her from time to time when she get up when I turn my back, but I always remember what I read and what the PT said. I have seen it 1st hand. I know we can't protect them from everything but we need to understand what we are up against.
Laurie

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:34 pm

that type-o was suppose to be 88 yrs not the "face" sorry. Laurie

Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:37 pm

My Mother has described the being pushed with some of her falls- she has those falls (nothing to trip on) and also tripping falls
She normally is not walking now- just stands enough for me to help her from bed to chair etc. However tonight when i was clearing the table I turned around and she was standing
keeps me on my toes
Sharon

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 am

Falling has been our biggest concern with Reg. Before he was diagnosed with LBD he would rush everywhere at break-neck speed whether by foot or driving the car. He used to wear a thick padded jacket when he collected the newspaper as quite often he would return saying some kind person had helped him up after falling over.

Just after he was diagnosed about 2 years ago, he was out walking arm in arm with my mother and the minute she let go of him to cross the road, down he went and broke his hip. After a long time in recovery and lots of physio he was able to walk a short distance with a frame but always accompanied by 2 people. We need to help him stand up, then have to wait for him to get his balance, we also have to remind him to put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes he gets his feet crossed and is unable to undo them. On sitting, if he turns to find the armrest he will invariably fall, we have to be there the whole time which he hates and tries to push us away.

A new home-help recently left him for a second standing at his frame and he fell straight backwards and banged his head. I had to call the paramedics who checked him over and he had to be watched for 24 hrs. It was almost like he went into a coma afterwards with the shock of it all. Once he came round he was OK and had no recollection of the accident.

It would be easy to just leave him in bed all day but we encourage him to get up and walk for the exercise and also he can come down on the stairlift and sit with the family. He fell when he was in respite and for this reason we have decided to look after him at home as long as possible but he has to be watched 24/7.

Caroline (his loving daughter)

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:44 pm

My dad, who is not at all mobile and needs 2 - 3 people to pick him up to transfer him, STILL falls! He sits in his lounge chair most of the day (when he isn't at meals or asking to be put to bed at 6 PM). If he drops something he bends over to pick it up and falls out on the floor..... So even being checked on at least once an hour in asst'd living, and not being mobile, he still lands on the floor once in a while..... Luckily he has strong bones for an 88 year old who has lived on Coca Cola all his life!

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]