View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dad is sleeping.... 

Post Dad is sleeping....
....a LOT.
Should I be worried? My husband has gone to the hospital to visit his mom. Dad has been snoozing since he left - 2-1/2 hours ago. I know his morning/afternoon drugs (Flonase, Ecotrin, Vitamin, 20mg Aricept, 15mg Namenda) usually make him sleepy, but I'm not normally with him in the afternoon and worry that he hasn't been awake much since about 11am.
Thanks.

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Post Its different
I know it seems unusual to see this sleeping. Our Lewy Dears have a different time schelule. I worry if I think Mr B. needs to go to the bathroom but he usually rouses up for that and then goes right back to sleep again when he is on a sleep day. When that happens, I try to have s bottle of Ensure [or Glucerna] for him when he returns to bed. If it is near med time, I can hand him a little container with his meds and after he has finished with the Ensure, meds, rinsed out his mouth with water, and said his prayers he will get under the covers and sleep again. Their system seems to need more sleep than ordinary people. Conversely, there may come times when they cannot go to sleep or stay asleep. Now that is when you look for problems [a pain, too much activity, an infection?} they cannot put a name on the problem and you will need to watch but for the sleeping, you keep an eye on him while you fold clothes, check the forum, change the cat littler boxes, catch up on the dishes or cook... on and on. Shoot, you can freshen yourself up a little . Comb your hair, put on make up, do your nails and look pretty for hubby when he comes home. He needs that. [so do you!!!]

He will [probably] still go to sleep at the proper time [or not]. He will sleep at night or stay awake at night no matter what you do so get ready to go on the ride... do the best you can but I do not wake Mr B. up unless he must get medical attention.

Have you read, "Each one is different" ? I know, only a million times. But this is true. You will learn along with your husband what works and what doesn't and everything in between.

Hang in there caring for him with love and it will be the "right" thing.

DrP

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Jerome typically sleeps about 16 hours a day. Some days more. He used to get up in the late morning, have some breakfast, then "nap" for a few hours. But over the years, he sleeps pretty solidly the whole time. If you read Boeve's "Continuum" paper on this site, you'll see his recommendation for Provigil (modafinil) to help a patient wake up. We have used it for several years -- otherwise, Jerome would probably remain asleep for 24 hours. In his case, the "wake up" mechanism in his brain is affected by the Lewy.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:19 am

This is all pretty new, so while I hate that I have to, I truly appreciate your 'veteran' status.
Dad is sleeping...Steve is sleeping. I need to run to the store-and will double-lock the door.
Thank you so much for being here.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am

Being fatigued is part of LBD. When someone starts sleeping 20+ hours/day, then the end may be near.
Robin

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 am

Dad was just diagnosed 3 months ago (although I believe he has been suffering for 6 months or more)...can the end really come that quickly?
He does seem to diminish more and more each day.
I am so worried for my husband. What can I be doing?
You folks are so incredibly strong. I truly, TRULY appreciate you being here.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Have you said how many hours your father is sleeping per day?
Robin

Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 pm

Robin - I would say Dad is awake MAYbe 2 hours a day, but it's hard to tell. He sleeps sitting up - and I can't always tell if he's just resting his eyes and still cognizant - or truly sleeping. :(

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:48 am

Robin is so right...the sleeping increases. I thought he was catching up on sleep, restoring energy....in actuality, the end was coming. Wish I had paid more attention to that part. As cognizent as I was about so many things...I now see things/signs I missed.. Be super aware.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:00 am

Not to be too indelicate here, but what is the underlying cause of "the end"?

My Dad's BP, blood chemistry, heart, other internal organs are all functioning well within the "acceptable" limits. Needless to say, his physical health is better than good.

When my Dad was in the hospital this past Monday, they did a CAT scan of his head and found nothing wrong.

What other symptoms or physical signs should we be looking for?

Thank you in advance, and my deepest sympathy to all those who have suffered a loss from the God-forsaken illness.

kinoini~~~~

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:57 pm

Typically the underlying cause of death is aspiration pneumonia.

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 pm

That's VERY scary. Dad had a TB diagnosis - benign? Not sure...but he has a horrific cough. So much so that it it truly frightens me to the point of calling 9-1-1 sometimes because I worry he will choke on the phlegm.
His doctor is coming here tomorrow. I will make sure Steve mentions this.
Yikes.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 am

If your LO is seeing an MD tomorrow, I would be sure to ask now about whether your LO qualifies for hospice at this time.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]