View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 obessing on sexual activities 

Post obessing on sexual activities
My husband is now about 2 1/2 years past dx.has been fairly stable until about 2 months ago. We have been dealing with the disease at least four years. He has started obessing about our sexual activities, which have been rare for several years. He, however is having apparently very vivid dreams, thinks he has picked up a hitch hiker and brought him home to have sex with me, which he watched. I cannot get this out of his memory. He is upset that I don't respond to him, however he doesn't remember in the morning when he has tried all night. Parnoia ia setting in with accuations of my seeing other men (neighbors,etc.) The dream may be present for a long time as he dreamed of going to his cousin's funeral at least a year ago, and the man is very much alive, but I have to convince him frequently he is alive.
Has anyone dealt with these symptoms
Thanks, Wilma

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:16 pm

These are very common problems. Is your husband taking an antipsychotic such as Seroquel? Can you speak with the MD about increasing the dose?

Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Wilma, My husband doesn't dream of my having afairs but he does accuse me of running around with men. Most of the men are friends, over the years he's even thought it was with my brother and uncle. He has these stories of seeing me getting into their car or that they were sitting on the couch or at the door. Capgras has made our life interesting, sometimes bring smiles to my family. Frank thinks I've hired 2 "girls" to help out, they look just like me and we wear the same clothes, uniforms. When I try to explain that I was with him all day and night, he "knows" it was one of the girls. He occasionally wants to be intimant and I find it difficult to be affectionate when he has spent the day accusing me. I know it's not Frank and I know I'm suppose let it roll off my back, but some days it's difficult. We've been married for 47 years and for the most part they were good, happy years. I have to remember the love we shared and try to love through compassion and care for this stranger I now live with. He is, phyically, a very healthy man so I'm hoping I can handle all the fluctuations and keep him home, a wish we all share.

Take Care,
Gerry

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:18 am

Post post subject
Wilma
Your story sounds very much like my story when my LO was first dx. It was very disturbing to me as we have been married for almost 52 years. He is on Seroquel and now we never deal with that subject.
Good Luck
Mary

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:50 am

Post obessing on sexual activities
Thanks to all who responded, no he is not on Seroquel but we see the Dr. tomorrow, and I am sure going to ask about it. It is interesting, I wonder how long this disease can lay dormant and occasionally show symptoms. We have been married 56 1/2 years and occasionally over the years he has accused me of "running around " on him. This has never been the case, but now he is "remembering" more and more times and people, mostly his friends, sometimes people I have never met.
Thanks it is good to know I'm not the only one!!!!!
Wilma

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:16 pm

I am glad I am not the only one haveing these issues!
Has anyone had their LO try to suduce their husband. My mom has tried him. He comes to me and I just tell him how sorry I am. He undrstands the whole issue. It is just akward for him and I feel so bad for him. Any ideas?

Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:46 am

Post obsessing
My husband has been put on Seroquil, has been on it for about 4 months and the problem has been solved. I understand it could stop working, but at least everything has been peaceful, and we are thankful for every day without this problem
Wilma

Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:03 pm

Good to know I'm not alone. My husband obsesses about sexual activity. He now trying to seduce my friend and be unfaithful to me. (She has just cut off all contact with him.) I am also checking to see if one caregiver left because of this. A year ago, before his diagnosis, he had a fantasy that a 20 year old young man was trying to take me away from him. I'm on Social Security! And he's sure the husband of a friend is trying to seduce me because the man knows Ray is ill. He also says he has sexually explicit dreams. Can such dreams be caused or aggravated by medicine (Aricept/levadopa)?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 pm

I know my husband obsesses about my sister, whom he hasn't seen for well over a year. He told me just last night that he's 'always been very attracted to her'. Not surprising, as she was--and still is--very beautiful and is seven years younger than I. Of course, it shouldn't upset me, but, being human, I felt hurt. :(

On the other hand, most of the time he thinks I'm either my sister or another 'imposter', so I guess it doesn't matter whom he's obsessing about. :wink:

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Sexual compulsions can be exacerbated by dopaminergic medication. The dopamine agonists (eg, Mirapex) are notorious for this side effect.
Robin

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Post obsessing
My husband has been on half dose Namenda since last Thur. The obsession is still there by maybe not as intense. I think the confusion is going to get worse, as he has been knowing were he is until last night and he called me and told me he in another hospital. I had had 4 calls from him and on the recorder he said"I've been given this number to call" and gave our number. I was expecting him to become angry with me as most neuro patients do, but this intense sexual thing blind sided me! It is so good to know one isn't alone in this.

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am

The Dr. changed to Zyperxa 5 mg once a day and dc'd the Seroquil. I am wondering if there is a possibility of him having a hallucination about someone in a nursing home and me (because he mistakes another person for the man in the orginal hallucination ). The Home is concerned about that and the safety and tranquillity of the residents on the unit. We have had very pleasant visits with him, but last night he called me and said "we have to talk, and I have to know did you have sex because you needed sex or are you in love with the man", in that conversation he was "hurt" not angry. His memory seems to be getting worse, except on this one topic, which I am expecting with the disease process where it is, and the stopping the Nemanda. What I am wondering, do you foresee the physical decline getting to the point he will be unable to act on this hallucination, as far as injuring someone? Also, Robin how much can changing these meds intensify this?

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:56 am

Sorry to hear about struggles of late with your husband. It sounds like he's suffering from paranoid delusions (about your infidelity). Surely this is one of the most hurtful symptoms for the caregiver.

Why did the MD discontinue Seroquel and start Zyprexa? Did you think that the Seroquel was not working after 4 months? Did you get up to a high dose? What about trying Clozaril? This is an antipsychotic with the best results in clinical trials but there's a rare but serious potential side effect. Since your husband is in a facility, he could be monitored effectively for this side effect.

Why was the Namenda stopped? Did you think that it wasn't helping?

Treating delusions is very challenging. The standard approach is to try an AChEI, such as Exelon, Aricept or Razadyne. Is he taking any of those? Then you add Namenda and/or an antipsychotic (Seroquel is the preferred one). And all dopaminergic medication is often stopped (eg, Sinemet, Mirapex, etc).

It is possible that he could decline physically such that he cannot physically hurt anyone. In my experience with the local support group, this often doesn't happen until near the end.

Delusions can occur in LBD -- as part of the disease process. The medication may not have anything to do with intensifying delusions but medication is the key to getting rid of them or lessening them.

Is the MD following the treatment regimen set forth in Boeve's "Continuum" paper? See this post for links to that paper as well as the Tanis Ferman paper that might help you at this time:
http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948

Robin

Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:02 pm

We have had a very ellusive Dr. but today I am going to demand a visit face to face. He stopped the Namenda because it's side effects may be hallucinations, apparently he thought it might at least be increasing the intensity. Zyprexa is recommended for "elderly patients with dementia" where Seroquil is not (even if it works). He was on 50 mg. once a day. I am going to be armed with that paper you recommended, and get some answers to why his physician was not contacted for records. In those records he would have seen complaints of dizzyness many times, and a recent CAT scan. Instead he has held him over in the psych unit for CAT scan and the last med change of Zyprexa. I think I was not as active in the treatment or at least meeting the Dr. from the start. When he is moved to the home believe me I will be there and meet with the doctor before he sees him (if possible) These guys all want to change something, we had a daughter who had diabetes, when she was a child every time she had to see a doctor other than her regular Dr. they always wanted to change the insulin dosage.

Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 am

Both Seroquel and Zyprexa are antipsychotics of the "atypical" variety. All antipsychotics carry an FDA black-box warning about potential dangers to the elderly with dementia. This post has a news article and a link to the FDA warning:
http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=821

The two preferred antipsychotics for those with LBD are Clozaril and Seroquel. Typically, one of the others -- Abilify, Zyprexa, Risperdal, etc -- is given if there was a bad reaction to Seroquel.

You can read about the preference for Seroquel (quetiapine) and Clozaril (clozapine) here on the LBDA website:
http://lbda.org/go/er

"A survey of clinicians experienced in managing LBD found a significant preference for quetiapine and trial data suggests that clozapine might be used for control of psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions in the non-acute situation."

One neurologist I know considers Zyprexa and Risperdal as bad as Haldol. There are some who do just fine on those medications. Indeed, that same LBDA.org webpage provided above says:

"Typical antipsychotics (such as haloperidol) and atypical antipsychotics with relatively strong D2 receptor antagonism (such as olanzapine and risperidone) should be avoided due to the risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, parkinsonism, somnolence and orthostatic hypotension."
Zyprexa = olanzapine

Please read Boeve's "Continuum" paper, and insist that your husband be treated accordingly.

You haven't mentioned if your husband is on Exelon, Aricept or Razadyne. That should be the first order of business to discuss with the MD. Why bring out a big-gun like an antipsychotic when you might be able to resolve the delusions with a dementia drug?

Robin

Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next