View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Waving chest and shoulders 

Post Waving chest and shoulders
I have looked for videos that may show some LBD symptoms in progress, but to date have found none. My mom has this "waving" of her chest and shoulders which we at first interpreted as being shortness of breath. Her cardiologist performed an O2 level test which she passed with flying colors. Is this a PD symptom picked up by LBD?

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 pm
Profile YIM

The only symptom for which there's a video is RBD (REM sleep behavior disorder). I've never heard of waving chest and shoulders, and am not totally sure what you mean by the term "waving." Is this undulating? A tremor? Dyskinesia?
Robin

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:02 pm

Post Waving chest and shoulders
Thank you so much for responding, Robin. Mama has had these movements since a couple days after beginning Namenda. We began noticing that her head was sinking into her shoulders, and she would exert much strength to hold it back up. Therefore, the thought of shortness of breath, but her breathing proved to be fine. Undulating could be a very good word to attach to this movement. It almost looks like a slow turtle retraction into his shell, then coming back out with a lot of effort. I am planning on making a video to send to her neurologist for review before we see him next month.

Again, thanks for the response,

Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:11 pm
Profile YIM

OK, the "turtle-like retraction" makes some sense. There is a lot of odd neck postures and neck dystonia that can occur in PD and atypical parkinsonism disorders such as LBD. In some people, I have noticed that their shoulders rise into something like a permanent shrug. If it's painful to your mother, you might consider botox injections. There are some risks with botox; it's used by neurologists to treat dystonia and rigidity.
Robin

PS. You mentioned in a post on LBDcaregivers that Jim Manner asked you to post your introduction. Jim Manner is the administrator here, not on LBDcaregivers. Do you want to make your introductory post here as well?

Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:48 pm

Post intro
yes to the intro here. I'm sorry that I didn't distinguish between the 2.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:10 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]