View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Constant movements 

One of the many things about the current health care debate (hardly the proper word for it!) that really inflames me is all the flak over the provision about advanced directives. Those objecting must never have been in this position. While I still have to make the decisions on Mother's behalf, I take great comfort in knowing what she said she wanted done under what circumstances. The decisions aren't based on guesswork or what I would want under similar circumstances, but what Mother said she wanted. We owe our loved ones a debt of thanks for making their wishes known.

Garnet

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:34 pm

I agree 100%, we should all have these done and not leave our loved ones with having to make difficult decisions at difficult times! I know mine is done!

Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

This is such a complicated issue. I also care for my 94 year old mom altho' she is quite independent, lives alone & is mostly clear thinking except her long term memory sometimes fails. Anyway, even tho' she lives alone there's alot to be done for her & my Dsis helps me with her, but she does take up much of my time in between caring for/about my DH. Last week she had a heart attack. It was the usual scenario & while in the emergency room she told me that she didn't want anything done & was ready to die. She agreed to be admitted for "medical management" & when we got her to the CCU, I told her to tell the nurse about her decision. She told the nurse the same thing........nothing to be done & the nurse had her sign a DNR. (do not resussitate) The next morning the dr. told her to repeat this to him & she did so without hesitation & refused a catheterization or stent. (She had 2 put in 6 years ago)The dr. said fine & she agreed to a change in medicine & requested to be sent home ASAP,. She was there 3 days & is now back in her apt. (5 minutes from me)& doing well. Fortunately, my Dsis was able to stay with her the first few nites & now she knows what to do if the Chest pain returns. I'm going to ask her dr. to get her to sign a DNR to keep with her so this will be in place for what may come.

She does have a living will & POA, but no durable power of attorney which I've been suggesting for awhile. However, my sister & I have discussed all along with her about what's to be done if she should need a nursing home or end of life care. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of us could be in control of our destiny without intervention. Dee

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3