View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 I almost lost pop Monday night 

Post I almost lost pop Monday night
I took pop's BP Monday morning and it was 90?/50. I can't remember what the top was. All day his BP went down. He was already in the bed asleep at 6PM and I took his BP and it was 70/33. I called the VA Care nurse and she to get him to the ER. Natually he had a fit and didn't want to go. It's almost 100 miles to the VA hosp and I got our 27yr old son to drive for me.
The Drs thought that they would run a bag of fluid in him and his BP would go back up. The IV didn't drip. It ran a steady stream. His BP was 80/40. They started another bad running and by then had some labs back. He was almost in kidney failure and his iron was very low. When the second bag of fluid was done his BP was still 80/40.
They admitted him and he didn't want to stay by himself so me and Brent stayed with him.
Let me back up some. His kidney function has been going down since April and he'd decided he didn't need to eat anymore. He says that nothing has a taste except his coffee.
His BP was back OK Tuesday morning but his kidney function was still bad. I asked the teaching DR and his 10 residents if pop's taste buds were going or gone because of the LBD. The teaching Dr's mouth dropped! He had no idea and told the residents to research and find out. I stumped the Drs!!!!!! Wednesday morning they told me that they think that pop has lost his taste buds.
Wednesday all of pop's labs were OK. We got home late Wednesday afternoon.l
One of the Drs told pop that he was almost history. I've told pop that he has to eat and drink water or he will be back in the same shape and we might not be quick enough the next time. Now I have to take his BP every day and if it starts getting too high, give him a BP pill and if it starts getting low stop the BP pill.
Yesterday and today he has eaten atleast 2 meal and has drank 2 or 3 bottles of water. He's shook right now but maybe I can get him to eat.
It nearly scared me to death.
The VA hosp in Birmingham, Al is a top notch, clean and well run hosp. 20yrs ago it was awful.
I guess that this was just the first really bad scare of many to come.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:14 am

Sorry you had to go through this whole ordeal , This is not uncommon in LBD and from all that I have read and experienced with the OH (Orthostatic Hypotension) is something as simple as making sure they are well hydrated can make a big difference, I think the fluids are probably more important than the actual food, it does mean another job for you by trying to get him to drink more and honestly water is the best, they now have many flavored waters maybe that would taste better to him. Often people with LBD mention that nothing tastes good .
I hope things stay on even ground for a while for you!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:30 am
Profile WWW

Glad to hear all is well.
Does your husband want a feeding tube?
Robin

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:37 am

He put it in his Living Will that he does not want a feeding tube. His 84yr daddy lived with us 11yrs ago for 18mo with a feeding tube but his swallowing muscles had stopped working and he had other health issues. Anyway, it wasn't a good experience.
We've talked about a tube this morning and he says that he would agree to have one if his mind was still pretty good. I guess we'll cross that bridge later.
He's been eating better and drinking 2 or 3 bottles of water a day for now.
We're still fussing about the lawn mower every day but then he forgets about it.
He is alittle more clear headed since he got out of the hosp but still comes and goes!

Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]