View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Father's Day 

Post Father's Day
I think most of you on this forum know I report on special days but somehow I could not go to RESPITE TOPIC for this Father's Day. I had to call on our son to come early this morning because Mr B. took a tumble and landed on the floor. I could not lift him and he decided his legs were broken, " all three of them". After he received tender loving care from son and eighteen yr. old grandson and I covered him up in his bed, he took a nap and is now, well, a wee bit in his own world. Son and family came back by after church but they decided to go home with their lunch and I sent half of the Father's Day cake with them. Dau. #2 will be here shortly but I doubt he will have much visiting with her --- maybe his snack but she will tend to him for several hours while I think about what I could have done to prevent it [knowing this happens sometime and for all the times I did not let it happen, this time I was not close enough to stop it}. . The up side. Nothing is broken.

I hope some one else will write in the Respite Care section about a good Father's Day and, who knows, I may be there before the day is over. Whether I write or not, I will read.

DrP

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Sorry to read about Mr. B's fall today but fortunately nothing is broken, and he got some loving attention from family. In your analysis of the fall, be sure to include the concepts that there may not have been anything you could've done or that doing something 7x24 would preclude Mr. B from feeling like an independent adult.
Hope your day improves,
Robin

Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Sorry about the fall, sometimes it just happens and there is nothing anyone could have done to prevent it, there was a time when my husband was walking and we were trying to go across the room to the kitchen table and he started his Lewy Lean and no matter what I did I couldn't get him to straighten up and the more he leaned the harder it was to hang on to him and I finally had to let go or we would have both been on the floor, I felt really bad but the control was out of my hands. I do hope you were able to to have found some joy in the day!

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:29 am
Profile WWW

DrP- So sorry to hear of Mr. B's fall and hope he is doing well. . Nothing you could do about it...these things happen unfortunately. Good thing you didn't fall with him, your health is most important so you can continue your loving care. So glad to hear nothing is broken. Angel was watching over both of you :)

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:37 am

I just got done picking Mother up off the floor. I was near her but couldn't grab quick enough. We are having more falls and she won't use the walker or cane around the house. She is determined to walk without help- sometimes she'll walk with me but gets impatient if I'm not right there. I used to be able to get her to stay sitting long enough to put the car away- now she gets up and tells me she forgot (takes about 5 min) -also am having trouble getting her to stay sitting long enough for me to get a shower or anything.
There will be falls and nothing we can do about them- unless we tie them in a chair- and that would destroy them
Take care
Sharon

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Post Poor Joan, poor Sharon
Its hard to describe the feeling you have when you see her on the floor. I long for a "Jack" that I could slide under Mr B.'s seat and pump it high enough for him to help himself. If I can raise a two thousand pound automobile with a jack surely they could make a portably one to raise a little ole man or lady. Hang in there, Sharon.

DrP

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Much as we try to prevent the falls they cannot all be prevented. It is very scary to see them going down and such a relief if they come through it with no broken bones or injuries. They did tell me not to try to prevent it to the point we both go down as if I get injured there is nobody to care for him. Hospice also told me that when I took care of my mother in law when she was bedridden from cancer. Just try to make it as easy as possible if you are close enough. Otherwise you have to let them go and pray for the best.
Hope all of your LOs are well tonight.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]