View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Grandmother More Tired, Less Ambitious 

Post Grandmother More Tired, Less Ambitious
My grandmother was recently hospitalized for her dementia, and returned home after a short visit. Since then she has been doing great except her physical abilities were weakened (which we expected). Since Saturday she has been going to bed every night at least an hour and half to two hours earlier then usual. During the day she doesn't do really much of anything except sleep. She's lost complete interest in radio, TV, everything basically (this has been slowly getting worse over two weeks, with the last three days being worse then usual). Which is not her. Tonight I noticed her body felt unusually warm to the touch, and her face was very red in the nose and cheek area. She didn't have a fever.
I don't know if maybe she's just coming down with something, or what. Maybe Im just paranoid. I was basically wondering if anyone else had experienced something similiar and even if you havent maybe any ideas on what if anything could be going on. Thank you.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:57 pm

We've seen Cal need a lot of time to shake off pretty minor illnesses. But if your gut says things aren't getting better over time, go with that. Talk to your most trusted care provider and lay it on the line. It could be a latent otherwise-asymptomatic bladder infection (especially if she was catheterized in the hospital). It could be depression. It could be a drug interaction.

We found the excessive sleepiness to develop relatively rapidly as well - over the course of a couple weeks. After ruling out metabolic and electrolyte problems, we went down the path of a little chemical help. It's worked well and been well-tolerated.

Eric

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]