View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 FIL CANNOT WALK 

Post FIL CANNOT WALK
Hi, I havent posted on the site, though I come on regularly to read other posts.

My FIL has been in hospital for the last 2 weeks. He had a fall at home and was taken to hospital. Luckily he didnt hurt himself, but his mobility is very poor. He was unable to get out of bed for a week as he was too weak. This week they are able to transfer him from the bed to the chair next to the bed. He has however, not been able to walk. He is having some physiotherapy.

Is this what happens, do you think he will get stronger and manage to get his mobility back. My FIL has advanced stages of parkinson disease and also has LBD. Though some days mentally he is not too bad and you can have a half decent conversation with him.

He is still living on his own and I am not sure whether he will be sent home when he is better or be placed in a care home. We have battled with social services and the like, but they tell us that if he is well enough and he wants to go home then that is his right to do so.

Im really worried about him now, and feel extremely sorry for him.

Lee-Alison x

Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:55 am

My Mother is also losing a lot of her mobility-with LBD they can't increase the meds that would help the mobility. The physical therapy may help some but Parkinsons as it advances will rob them of the ability to walk.
nwpf.org has good info about Parkinsons. We've found deep tissue massage and accupuncture help combat the rigidity of the Parkinsons -really have allowed her to keep some mobility.
I can't beleive they keep sending him home by himself-that's heartless
Sharon

Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 am

Just my guess -- I think it unlikely your FIL will regain his strength and mobility.

Many LBDers I know become bed-bound or chair-bound after awhile. One person in our local support group has been bed-bound for three years!

The so-called "social services" people in your country should be fired. I hope the MDs or social workers at the hospital can intervene this time such that your FIL can be discharged to a care facility.

Robin

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:09 am

Just an update on my FIL. He has been in hospital for nearly a month, and for the whole time has bedridden, unable to stand or walk. They are using a hoist to transfer him from bed to chair. Yesterday the nurse said that it isnt safe for him to sit in his chair as he falls forward. He has been having physiotherapy every day but the physiotherapist said that he isnt making any progress at all. The other day they tried to get him to stand but he fainted in their arms. (He does have low blood pressure).

This week the hospital is sorting out his care package and will be looking into nursing homes. This I am pleased about this as the amount of times he has been sent home from hospital has not been funny.

Can anyone tell me what to expect next? What problems will arise with being bedridden for any length of time? etc.

Thank you for any replies. Lee x

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:47 am

I am sorry for the down turn with your FIL and a nursing home is probably the best solution, the one thing I would be concerned with his bed sores once they start they are hard to heal, will family visit often? If so then he has to be checked often, the bed sores come from lack of turning and positioning the person enough, they say they need to be moved every 2 hours. Good Luck with all of this.

Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:13 am
Profile WWW

I'm glad that at least this time they won't be sending your FIL back home. Sort of a mixed message though, isn't it?
Robin

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm glad the sign-up for hospice feels right. We've had LBDers in our local support group who have gone on and off of hospice over a multi-year period, so it's definitely not a death knell!
Robin

Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:02 pm

Post Hospice care
Sharing about hospice, we have had hospice for about 4 months and yes they are great with the services. My husband Bob is declining with LBD, sleeps more, still eats sometimes needs help, we just take one day at a time, we do have round the clock cnas, could not do it without them and keep him home, which is what we all want, great help from our daughter, she takes care of many details, have 2 sons also and they are not dealing well with Bob's decline. We have a family business and they sure miss his input, but we must move on and trust God with whatever comes our way.Hope this post goes thru ok. Appreciate all the comments and we just need to keep on and share as we deal with our loved ones. It is not an easy road to travel but we will make it. Pauline, Fl :o

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Just a further update. My FIL has been transferred to another hospital, where apparently he will be able to have more physiotherapy. Since arriving there last Thursday, they havent been able to do this as every time they try to make him stand, his blood pressure drops and he nearly faints. So they have told me that they will not be able to carry out any physiotherapy until my FIL's blood pressure problems have been sorted out. But he has had low blood pressure for years.

I dread to think what is going to happen this week, they are sorting out his social care package, I was speaking to a occupational therapist the other day, and I said surely he wont be sent home if he cannot walk. She said that some people who live in their own homes cannot walk and that it might be a possibility. :shock:

What is wrong with some people, my FIL's life is worse than a dogs, and I told her that. Unfortunately living with us is not possible, he needs 24-7 nursing care.

Rant over. :)

Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:35 am

Sorry for your FIL's decline, it sure makes things hard if not impossible for him to live alone, I guess you will just have to advocate for him and let them know there is no way he can come home unless they provide 24/7 care in his home.So much stress on a family!

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:13 am
Profile WWW

My FIL is still in hospital, a occupational therapist was going to conduct a home visit with my FIL yesterday to see how he would cope at home etc, but at midday she rang me to tell me that my FIL was unable to walk again so she decided to scrap that idea of the home visit and ring social services, as in her opinion she thinks he should be placed in a nursing home. I said to her is he going to have a mental capacity test carried out she said yes he will and that she had carried out her own test and he got 2/10, so she said she doubted if he would pass the test with the social worker.

Today I ring the hospital at 4pm, as I hadnt heard anything....

The social worker had been to visit my FIL, had a long chat to him, he apparently was insisting the whole way through that he wanted to go home to his house. He is a very loud man and can be very intimidating. The social worker did not carry out the mental capacity test and she thought he knew his own mind, and has decided he can go home next Thursday and instead of having 1 carer per visit he will now have 2, because of the fact that his mobility is so poor.

The decision has been made, I have spoken to staff at the hospital and told them how bad it is at home, and so have the home carer agency, but yet AGAIN he is being sent home.

:shock:

I cant believe this is happening all over again. How can they allow him to go home to be sitting in an armchair unable to walk and not being able to get to the toilet etc.

Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Post FIL cannot walk
Leealison,
I am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this once again. I saw that your were located in England, is there an authority that looks out for the best interests of the patient? An ombudsman or Adult protective services does that in this country. If so, you could ask them to look into his situation to help him get the right level of care. Please keep us informed of his (and your) journey through these debilitating illnesses. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Athyca

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Post FIL cannot walk
Leealison,
I am so sorry that you and your family are having to go through this once again. I saw that your were located in England, is there an authority that looks out for the best interests of the patient? An ombudsman or Adult protective services does that in this country. If so, you could ask them to look into his situation to help him get the right level of care. Please keep us informed of his (and your) journey through these debilitating illnesses. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Athyca

Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:40 pm

This is almost unbelieveable that they want to send this man home in the condition he is in, I understand his want to go home but but I can't understand that they can't see that he can't take care of himself at all. If they find the need to have 2 carers per visit , so what is it they expect will happen when there are none there for the rest of the time. What would happen if no one picked him up on Thursaday?
I do hope this gets worked out for peace of mind and his safety~

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:43 am
Profile WWW

Sorry to hear the problem you are having. Some times if you say the words loud and clear to the hospital doctors and social workers, THAT He is a Danger to himself, this makes them stop and think, are they going to be responsible with releasintg a person that surly should not be going home.

B

Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next