View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Argumentative and Offensive Behavior 

Post Re: Argumentative and Offensive Behavior
Hey Jeannie: Dale and I have 'been there' too. After I bring Dale home from church, I immediately put him to bed for an hour while I prepare lunch. It's just a suggestion but it works for us. Getting over-tired is even a problem for a child... and they are like children. The stimulation of being surrounded with lots of people can be fun for him but it also can be too much. I hope you can continue to attend church with him.

We have had only a few 'episodes' such as you describe but they have been horrible so I know what you experienced. I do hope today is a better day for both of you.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks for the advice and support. Wayne is back to his "normal" self and I am re thinking taking him to church. I will try putting him down for a nap as soon as we get home....see if he will stay down. I do think he is just over stimulated. Sun is out today in Michigan. Jeanie

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:28 am

I've been thinking about you, Jeanie... and wondering how Wayne is doing.

For unknown reasons, Dale had a hallucination filled day today. He tries to hard to be normal but I can tell from his wide eyed look that he is seeing things that aren't real. Today, he saw women in our screened patio all day.

It got to be too much for him tonight so I put him to bed early. As I was getting him ready, I remembered something that helps him - and thought it might be helpful for you. I put a recording on as I prepare him for bed. I try to choose music that is calming and something he will enjoy. It sort of melts the tension in the air for both of us. He seems much more cooperative and it all goes smoothly.

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:47 am

I know hallucinations are part of the Lewy Body dementia and not a trait of Alzhemiers so I guess that helps a little. Usually the hallucinations are not harmful, they say. Wayne often sees things crawling on the ground and tries to pick it up. I say what do you see? Of course, he can't answer me. He has pretty much lost his language ability. Then I say "Do you see bugs...let's step on them." Tonight he was looking in the mirror and got real mad at himself. Sometimes it helps to laugh cause the situations are so ridiculous.
I hope the lady on the porch goes home tonight. Thanks for writing. Jeanie

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Oh, yes Leone, we play CD's on the computer in our bedroom often and it does help - we just started Christmas carols today. J

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Visited my dad today and had expected to spend the whole day with him. While I was away I'd been hearing how mellow, content, non-agitated he was. Well, he usually is really happy to see me but everything set him in a fit today. No matter what it was, he was shaking his one fist at me (the other arm apparently doesn't work at all anymore) and had that horrible angry look on his face. I know it's the diseases but it doesn't make it pleasant or easy to be around.
I thought I'd make him happy by calling my kids and having them talk to him. I asked them each to tell him a story (since his speech is almost totally indecipherable.) My son in Wyoming was telling him about the snow there, and my dad got really mad at him and kept telling him that he needs to get gas for the lawnmower and cut the grass. It was one delusion after the other and he'd get himself all worked up over the delusions.
I mentioned that I was going to see my aunt tomorrow after I visited him, and he went totally ballistic. Every time I mentioned her name he nearly levitated off the bed, shaking his one fist. Guess I won't mention her name again. I was just glad she wasn't there visiting. After a few hours I just couldn't take it anymore so I left. It was not a good visit..... Lynn

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Oh Lynn,
I am so sorry you didn't have a good visit and understand how it could really get to you, I hope tomorrow is better and he has setttled down some!

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:52 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Argumentative and Offensive Behavior - Lynn
To have planned to stay the whole day with him and have it turn out so badly must be so disappointing. I'm so sorry, Lynn.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am

Lynn, So sorry the visit was not a good one. Know we all care & just hope & pray you will have a great week & Thanksgiving! You have been such wonderful source & help for all of us in this group.
gayle

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:37 am

Thanks for your support and understanding. This disease is like an alien has taken over my dad's brain and turned him into something totally different from the kind, loving, generous man he was. This visit sure didn't make me glad that I'd spent hours on the phone with the airlines and the travel insurance people a few nights ago, plus an extra $500 to get back to be with him 2 days sooner. :cry: Oh well, hopefully this morning's visit will be better. Lynn

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 am

Post Re: Argumentative and Offensive Behavior - Lynn
This past year has been one I'd like to forget. My mother didn't know me during the last two weeks that I attempted to visit her in California. At one point, I said, "Mother, your daughter Leone is here." She said, "Well, get her a chair!" Since I live in Florida, that trip across the continent was a total disappointment - so I know how you feel.

This morning, my husband's first words from bed were, "Who is that man over there?" At breakfast, he said, "When are we leaving this place?"

Yes, dementia is like an alien... and I feel like I have been surrounded by alien forces. :cry:

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am

Alien! That's it, exactly, Leone! Does anyone remember the movie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers? Ordinary people were replaced with replicas grown in pods by an alien force. Maybe our LOs are the victims of some extraterrestrial plot to take over the world. Invasion of the Lewy Bodies :lol: Oh, my...I think I'm going over the edge...

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 am

Honey, we're all going over the edge. How about a cruise just for Lewy caretakers? Wouldn't it be nice to sit with a glass of wine (in my case, diet Pepsi) and just dish on our lives? And everyone would UNDERSTAND. Smiles, Nan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 pm

That should be 'caregivers' I guess. N

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Oops, Lynn! Sorry--you're the one who used the term 'aliens' first. Gotta give credit where it's due!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next