View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Violent attacks 

Post Violent attacks
Hi, I'm new - have written just a couple of times, today has been an awful day. My dad was recently diagnosed with LBD, my mom, pretty frail 79, is his caregiver. Dad has been going to day care with excellent results for the last couple of months. He seemed to do better with a routine. Today for no reason, he attacked two of the women at daycare. Of course, they couldn't keep him there and we couldn't send him home to my mother or any other family member. When he gets agitated, even though his delusion, may have to do with my mom (as this one did -he thought she was dying) he doesn't always recognize her and it is possible he could hurt her. I had to agree to him going to a pyschiatric facility. I don't know if I did the right thing but I did the only thing. I don't think he will be coming home to his house after this - he can't go back to daycare and my mom can't take care of him 24/7.I'm not sure I"m posting in the right area - I don't really have a question just really don't know what I should do.
Kani

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:39 pm
I am sorry you and your Mom have going through all of this, it sure is a difficult situation, Maybe in a Psych Facilitity, they can adjust his meds where he is more manageable, Could there be an infection (UTI) brewing? Just trying to think of some answers for you but I do hope things can work out for all of you and please let us know how your Father is doing.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks Irene. I'm hoping that at the hospital they can help - that really is the only place he can be right now. The social worker at the hospital feels we did the right thing - only thing. I hope so.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 pm
I think your Dad is in the best place for right now, you really had no other choice, so let's pray that they can work with getting him on the right path! I will keep you in my thoughts!

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:23 pm

Wow I would say it was a bad day. Is agrestion a big issue always or with only some people. I find it hard to believe my mother in law would ever get that way. Yes I can say denile:)

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:07 pm

Aggression was very unusual for my mother's personality. It was later determined the aggression was being caused by the medications, we think mostly the Sentimet. I say this because she spent 3 weeks in a Psych facility trying to identify the problem with her medications. She was taken off of just about everything else except the Sentimet. Later, as the problems continued she was gradually taken off of the Sentimet too and her aggression stoped. The down side is that she became very weak, but at least she was comfortable and she wasn't falling anymore.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Post Violent attacks
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for writing. My dad has been in the hospital since Friday and by all reports he is confused but okay. His doctors aren't affiliated with the hospital so they haven't been consulted yet. This has been very frustrating - I've told them his history, LBD, his meds etc. but I don't think any of it registered. I finally spoke to the Dr. this am and told her he has LBD. At that point she replied then we don't want to put him on antipsychotics and that explains why is only taking Clonipin. She then asked if we wanted to wait and have a consult with their neuro people or would we like them to consult with his docs. I feel like we are reinventing the wheel at every turn. At least now, per my request, they are going to speak with his doctors and once stabilized he will be transferred. Right now this is roughest on my mom - she had hoped that she would be able to care for him longer and maybe he would get better.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:32 pm
Thanks for updating us, sounds like you are FINALLY hitting on a Dr that DOES understand and now things can be done to help your Dad, I hope! How is your Mom holding up with all of this, poor thing!
A suggestion here try to always carry LBD info with you because we never know when the need will come up!
Keep us posted! :)

Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:39 pm

Post violent attacks
Hi everyone,
Irene thanks for asking about my mom. We finally got my dad out of the hospital. It was difficult. The insisted on giving him Zyprexa and were surprised when he had an aggressive episode that evening. I had asked them not to and to consult with his doctors. They refused. THen they wanted to call in a medical consult to determine why he had a reaction to the meds. At this point I told them I wanted him out of there and into a place where they were at least aware of what they were dealing with, he is now in a dementia assited living facility. He has experience a marked decline since being in the hospital. This place though is wonderful - they know what they are dealing with - he can move freely and safely about and my mom, who is having a hard time, knows that they are lovingly taking care of him. My mom has come home with me this weekend and hopefully it wil help her deal with all that has happened. We have a lot of guilt for putting him into the alf but we didn't have a lot of options. My mom couldn't take care of him anymore and I do believe that he is at least safe there.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm anxious to hear how your father is since it's been almost a month. He sounds just like my father was last year. From what I've read, this is typical of early LBD to have these violent episodes but then they lessen as the disease progresses and as we get their meds adjusted. My Dad had some awful episodes and was treated wrong which caused them to get worse, but now he never gets them. Having hallucinations is one way they diagnose LBD. Hang in there - my guess is that he will soon quit having them and you'll go on to the next symptom. Find a good place to care for him and stay involved daily with monitoring his care and all will come out ok. Bless you!
Sally

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:37 am

Thanks for asking about my dad. He is now at an alf for people with dementia. It is a wonderful place - unusual in that they are used to dealing with dementia of all types. He has adjusted pretty well - he hasn't had any more violent episodes - he has had quite a few falls - it seems his balance is getting worse - he often is in his own world - he constantly relives his navy career. He knows his immediate family but time is irrelevant for him now. He doesn't ask to go home and seems very content. We are able to see him whenever we want - there are no visiting hours - they consider it his home and as such family can come and go at will. THis has helped my mom enormously. She could no longer take care of my dad and she sees that he is much happier there - no one is constantly telling him "don't do this" etc. She visits him often and they include her in many activities along with other spouses of residents. I wish I could attach the photo they took of them at their valentine's day luncheon - it is precious. I visit him as often as I can - I plan on heading back down in about one week. He always loves a visit but usually forgets we've been there ten minutes later. I wish (not unlike so many people I've read about ) we had a idea of what is in store for him, for how long, etc. but it seems every day it is something new - it gets worse - levels off - then gets worse again. Kani

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:12 am

Kani, I agree every week there is something new and different. We are seeing JAckie my Mother in Law go down hill. sometimes it's daily we see a difference. JAckie does not have any idea what to do when we take her to use the bathroom. We are going to get a bedside comode. just to make our Job easier. Jackie just does not look good most days I can't tell you why but just looks bad. we are waiting for medicaide to start and then we are putting her in a nursing home. I think it won't be long now for Jackie but I can't have her die in my house. I have a 13 yer old daughter who would not handle it to well. I also think my husband won't handle it well either.
from reading all the posting on the website and what everyone was doing or not doing when they died leads me to beleive that it won't be long for Jackie.

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am
He is now at an alf for people with dementia. It is a wonderful place - unusual in that they are used to dealing with dementia of all types. He has adjusted pretty - Kani

Dear Kani,
I am so happy that you let us know how your Dad is doing and so glad that he has adjusted well and the constant care is off your Mother's shoulder's, it is hard!
You ask "what will Happen" No one knows this is such an unpredictable illness, take each day you have him and count it as a true blessing is my only advice!

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:18 am

I admire the care and love you have shown your mother-in-law - I wish we could have taken care of my dad longer but without people living closer it just wasn't possible. It sounds to me as if you are doing the right thing for your mother-in-law and your family and that is all you can do. I think we blame ourselves for not doing more or maybe not wanting to do more but the reality is that it is a lot on a person or a family. It is funny that you mention how your mother-in-law looks - that is the one thing that I've commented on a lot in the last couple of months since my Dad started to decline -he looks physically different to me - his head shape - his mannerisms, his eyes and he just doesn't look good, I guess it freaks me out a little because other than the LBD he is in good physical health. Maybe I'm just imagining...

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Yesterday my grandma was wondering where her car was. We told her the car was in the garage at home. Then she told us that she ran over three people and hit a wall three times. We told her no the car is at home.

Heather

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next