View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 not understanding what is being said 

Post not understanding what is being said
Hey everyone I have a question, as time goes on we can't understand what Jackie is saying. it used to be when Jackie didn't sleep the next day it was hard to understand. But now most of what she says is not understandable. we can't make out anything. I would say 99% of what she says we don't understand. Just finding out about LBD can someone fill me in on how far along this sign are in the disease. I am thinking she is getting close to the end but could be totally wrong.
Any help would be appreciated

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Here is a typical sentence my Dad might say to me:
"those guys, you know, the ones with the onions are helping to put the thing over there and I washed it but it went like a carp on my knee"

This is said in complete seriousness and a reply is expected. We usually just say something like "well isn't that something!" and try to redirect his attention. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Last week Dad pounded himself on the head with his fist and said" it's all messed up in here!". because he ws trying to tell me something and could see by the look on my face that I didn't understand at all. It was so sad.
And yet, there are days when he sort of makes sense - it's like the pathways in his brain have become all tangled. He also straightens his arm if you ask him to bend it, or tries to pull up his pant leg if you ask him to remove his glasses. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for LBD patients. No wonder they get angry or stop trying to communicate!!

Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:24 pm

You can't understand because what is said is slurred or you can't understand because the words are put together in an order that make no sense??

Slurred speech (dysarthria) is a parkinsonian symptom. I'm guessing that "word salad" (when the words are all tossed together) is related to dementia.

Robin

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:45 am
Well your question is not an easy one because in my travels with LBD I have found there are very few people who have it, have the exact same traits as perhaps the next one in same time frame, for us my husband started with slight dementia and very short time after started with the Physical end of it and that came in like a rushing train, I know people who there Lo's don't get the physical until much further into the disease, point being there is a list of things that LBD people "could" get but no time period, when Jim started having trouble with speech I often found one word in his sentence that he was trying to convey to the rest of us, its hard to do, but you have to sometimes look around them and see what perhaps they are looking at or what conversation they may have been trying to reply to.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:10 am
Last week Dad pounded himself on the head with his fist and said" it's all messed up in here!". because he ws trying to tell me something and could see by the look on my face that I didn't understand at all. It was so sad.
And yet, there are days when he sort of makes sense - it's like the pathways in his brain have become all tangled. He also straightens his arm if you ask him to bend it, or tries to pull up his pant leg if you ask him to remove his glasses.

Dear Fins,
Isn't this sad it used to break my heart ,my husband was such an intelligent person and to see him this way was heart breaking but you are correct it is a switch that just won't go on and thats why they sometimes can pull out what to want to because the switch turns on for brief time...
Its a short circuit in their brain! :(

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 am

I have no idea if this is what is helping Mom but before Hospice came in last Saturday that is exactly how Mom sounded. It was a mixture of different words and a lot of slurring. She was also very rigid and in pain. Hospice started her on a very low dose of Haldol (I think that's how you spell it). She took one at night and one in the morning. She immediately became relaxed. We were able to move her without her crying out in pain. In fact, I can't remember the last time we had seen her scratch her nose. The only problem was that she was so relaxed she would move her lips like she was saying something but no sound would come out. The next day they decided to eliminate the morning dose. We have had the three most wonderful days with Mom. She is speaking where we can understand her. She answers our questions and even makes sarcastic remarks and smiles. She puckers her lips to kiss us. I can't even put into words how that made me feel. We are just amazed. Removing the morning dose has made her a little stiffer but we are hoping this is a compromise for right now. Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 pm

The quote from Fins' dad sounds almost exatly like something my dad would say!

One thing we have found to be helpful is sugarfree wintergreen Lifesavers. Dad's mouth gets so dry sometimes, the sluring would make you think he'd had a stroke. Sucking on a Lifesaver can really clear up his speech. Lifesavers also seem to have some magical powers and help with anxiety attacks.

The other thing we have noted with dad...the things he says often do make sense if you can piece them together. For example, recently he wanted to show me something...he pointed at the toilet and said "this doesn't work." It wasn't clogged, seemed to flush ok, there was toilet paper in the holder. *shrug* No clue what he was trying to say.

A few days later, he was whacked out of his mind, violent and throwing stuff and didn't know who we were. After a trip to the ER in restraints. they determined he had a UTI. So "this doesn't work" meant he was having trouble urinating. Now we'll check if there's the slightest doubt after two nightmarish weeks getting him back to normal.

My 84 yo father has LBD

Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:40 pm

I have been real hestitant adding any medicine, but that sounds like it might be something to try. Jackie has been getting real stiff lately both hands and even noticed trying to sit her up in morning she doesn't bend easily.
How much of a dose is she taking a night???/

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:29 pm

I will need to look at the dosage and let you know. The Hospice nurse said it was the minimum dosage that the pill came in. Her stiffness gets worse around noon so we were going to ask the nurse about a 1/2 dosage around 10:00 a.m. each morning. The full dosage made her too out of it. She couldn't communicate.

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]