View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 hubby admitted to hospital, they gave antivan?? safe?? 

Post hubby admitted to hospital, they gave antivan?? safe??
yesterday hubbys hallucinations and delusions went into overdrive.... and he became more agitated and i couldnt talk him down..and by doing so, he turned on me... i called the doc,( the VA) who said call 911 and have him admitted to the hospital and we can take some time adjusting his meds in a safe environment... ( we are still trying to get him settled from family removing his meds in august, for a month.. thinking they were helping ???!!!) long story short, 6 hours later he was calm by then, but they did admit him any how.....i gave the hospital info on lewy and a list of no no drugs,, they do not have a gyro phys unit ,so decided to keep him in the ER until they can find a close hospital or the VA, with a unit and bed.. after i got home i called and they had to restrain him and they gave him anitivan... not familiar with antivan.. and in looking reading, getting mixed reviews...anyone have any experience with antivan??? this is our first experience with hospitalization .. and now i'm questioning, if i helping him or hurting him...????
thanks for you help
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am

Post Re: hubby admitted to hospital, they gave antivan?? safe??
Cindi, relax, some can take Ativan with no trouble. I cannot speak to the ones who have trouble with Ativan but it was used for my husband, Mr Bobby. I took a deep breath and allowed it It calmed him.

I, too, await for other members to speak of this. Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:02 pm

thank you dorthea..

he was 150% worse when i got there today, than when i left him last night... could be a number of things that caused it.. but at least tonight, they found a wonderful hospital to take him and keep him till his meds are regulated... fingers crossed.. we can get him stabilized and back to where he was before all this med change thing happened...
thank you again, dorthea...
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Mr Bobby relived his war years when he became ill with LBD even though he had [mostly] kept it to himself during his return home and his working times. In fact that in his restless dreams was the first noticeable symptom . I had to let him stay in Senior Care wing [locked down] while they found the best Meds. Do you have a copy of the Dr Boeve suggested medicines? Sorry I have not researched your previous posts.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm so sorry Cindi. I'm not really up on the meds, but glad he's being treated and hopefully things will calm down and stay calm. All the best in getting through this part of the LBD roller coaster. Lynn

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:35 pm

an update..

he is in the specialized place now and the first few days have been like everything else, up and down.. he is still struggling a lot…. the place is fab, only 14 patients and many more doc and volunteers it has a wonderful write up and ive met most of the docs and chatted with them for an hour or so each on hubby.. as they asked questions.. my concern is still the meds.. and the in house physician .. who after five minutes of watching him walk and moved his arms around, declared he doesn't have lewy body.. hes not stiff enough….i told him as far as i could see and have observed over the last 8 years, he has every single symptom,plus a few extra thrown in, with the ptsd… he was fairly strong in his statement again.. and being there are no beds anywhere in the whole town, i clamped my mouth shut, as i knew i couldnt take him home in the condition he was in.. but i am armed for bear tomorrow with pages and pages,,,of lewy info.. and hope to sit down with all the docs and find out all their thoughts and hopes for hubby.. during his stay there… and try calmly to let them know my concerns...

thanks for the good thoughts and ideas.. well see how it goes tomorrow…
cindi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 am

Mr Bobby's stiffness would come and go. And, yes, he did have Lewy Body diagnosed post mortem. While we were trying to get a Clinical diagnoses, a nurse sat and talked with me after I requested a listing of all the medicines they were giving him. She and I discussed LBD. Evidently I made a good case because the next time I met with the staff, the head doctor would not say it was LBD but he treated it as such. We followed the Dr Boeve suggestions for the next two years. My fighting days were over and I could care for him as an equal part of the team. Continue to stay calm but firm. Your husband depends on you.

The very nature of Lewy Body is that no two cases are the same and no two days of the individual patient are the same. Forever changing yet following a similar pattern enough to let an observing spouse know it is not following the patterns of other illnesses. It is in a category all of its own.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 am

My dad's stiffness also came and went, so depending on when someone was observing him, his legs might have been as rigid as steel or they could be normal or they could be completely flaccid. Dorothea said it all - be firm, hang in there, and continue to advocate and educate the medical people about YOUR LO and LBD, and no 2 people with LBD are alike! I hope things go better in the coming days, Lynn

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 am

thanks ladies.. went today and it was good.. except only sunday doc was in in .. so hoping to get an appointment on tuesday, with the main man.. as monday its there go over the patients and plans for them…. so fingers crossed we are moving forward in the right direction….thanks again for your thoughts , encouragement and good ideas((()))
xxxx
cindi

Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]