View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 obstinence or Lewy? 

Post obstinence or Lewy?
So how do I know if it is Lewy or just being obstinent(sp?)? He wants a chain saw so that he can get some wood for the fire pit. "Where are you going to get the wood?" I ask. "IT'S EVERYWHERE!!" he replies. When I ask if he is going to cut down a tree, he repeats that it is "EVERYWHERE". (he is actually yelling at me, hence the caps) After some going back & forth I am able to figure out that "everywhere" is the dead fallen trees. I'm still learning to not get into an argument, but not sure if should I just say OK & let it go rather than try to figure out what he means. It is especially frustrating because he is more often than not able to tell me what he means, so I'm not sure if he can't tell me what he means or if he's being cantankerous. Sometimes I think that there is nothing wrong & then he will ask me something that a 5 year old could understand. Thank you all for listening. Connie

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:25 am

Post Re: obstinence or Lewy?
Don't let him anywhere near a chain saw!! I gave ours to our son-in-law early on. Watching my husband try to use a circular saw was truly horrifying. Gave that away, too. Told him someone borrowed it.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Yes, I'm not too keen on him getting hold of one. He complains that his glasses are wrong Rx because things are "foggy". His skills on the riding lawn mower attest to that; he completely misses some patches, 'tho I never tell him 'cuz I figure he'll get them next time. So I fear he'll miss the log & get his foot. But I don't think SIL has one & I don't think he'll want to spend money on one...hoping so anyway.

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Change the subject! Side-track. Re-direct. That is the key with the obstinance. And it is part of LBD. My Mom was soooo determined with her hallucinations - so much so that she almost had us convinced there were bugs in the rug - - we got new carpet just in case! Then there was the day we went grocery shopping and she was DETERMINED to put every kind of meat that exists into the buggy. This was early on and she and I had it out in the grocery store. I've felt bad about that ever since. But it did teach me to "change the subject", distract and focus on another topic. That got us through without the big battles after that. And definitely don't get the chainsaw!!! Hallucinations make people do crazy things!!!

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Connie - one of the most interesting and also frustrating things about this disease is a person can go from delusional thinking, aggressive behaviors, etc. to normal or almost normal in the blink of an eye, and back again. So, if you can wrap your head around the fact that your LO is unable to control the enormous swings in behavior, speech, thought processes, etc. that may help you understand that what's going on is totally unpredictable. So, if your LO has hours/days of normal behavior, that doesn't mean that the other symptoms are not coming back, and they can come back with a vengeance. Thus, allowing your LO to have access to driving, machinery, knives, chain saws, etc. is NOT a good idea for yours or others' safety (or theirs). You never know when the LBD symptoms will kick in and they have no control over it either.

Good luck. Getting used to unpredictability will help you keep your sanity! Lynn

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]