View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Behaviour causing move to nursing home 

Post Re: Behaviour causing move to nursing home
wow tonya.. when it rains it pours.. sending hugs for some relief and answers.. was wondering if you wre to use the medicine list from here, if the doc would accept its not the best drug for him..??

thinking of you and wishing you ALL well.
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Mon May 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks everyone.....well dad has moved to a wonderful memory care unit....I think he is doing better now after te initial adjustment due to regular medications and routine and an environment with fewer stressors....I pray now we can keep him at this nice place financially.....he has had some really good days lately and I am so grateful....he was never given haldol and the care facility knows not to give it to ppl w pd....thankfully....
Thanks to everyone here for your support!
Best,
Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Very glad to hear things are settling down for you and that your Dad sounds like he's in a good place!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 pm

We were at that same place a little over a year ago. Dad was still mobile then. He came after me with a broken water glass and threatened my mom with a knife. Fortunately my husband was there to take the knife away from him. Dad was taken by police and to emergency staff to hospital where he deteriorated before our very eyes. He lost the ability to walk or do anything for himself. In May he was placed in a nursing home and he is doing the best he can. There were long waiting lists at long term care facilities so we decided to make use of an interum care bed at not one of our first choice facilities. It was the best decision we made.
We visit as often as we can. Mom goes every day.
The point is we did everything we could to keep dad home but there comes a time when we all have to make the decision that we cannot do it anymore. Don't feel guilty. There is only so much we as caregivers can do by ourselves.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm

My heart goes out to everyone...the hardest part is trying to understand that what is best for Dad might not be what he wants for himself....He has adjusted so well to the new environment that his cognition has improved...but now he realizes how much better off he is than the other residents and wants to leave. If it wasn't for the terribly distressful nights and Lewy fluctuations, I'd think that would be best for him, but people who know more than me about this are saying it isn't. And I must say the care he is getting has resulted in marked improvements physically and mentally.....so hard....
best to all,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 pm

It is very hard to move a LO to a facility when they appear to be "borderline" needing to be there. With LBD, the fluctuations can be great, so during the good times it probably does seem like a good idea to have him home. But when he is not doing well or if/when he becomes extremely aggitated, there are incontinence issues and a myriad of other symptoms, you are probably thankful he is in a place where people can take good care of him. And you know you need to take care of yourself, too. How is everything going with your health now, Tonya? Sending a big cyber hug to you, Lynn

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2