View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 affects of cold weather with lewy body 

Post affects of cold weather with lewy body
We live in Michigan, and the winter was snowier than usual. My husband has been afraid of the ice and snow; I think he fell when I was at work, he was trying to clean snow. If he hears there is a snow storm coming, he says he can't go out until it melts. Common fears? He is 59. Thanks for your thoughts, as he is newly diagnosed (October 2012, but dr. believes he had symptoms earlier).

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Post Re: affects of cold weather with lewy body
Pam, I'm sorry no one has addressed your question yet. I really have nothing to suggest except that, if he fell in the snow, it stands to reason he's going to be cautious about going out in it again.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:15 pm

Pam, we live in Wis and my husband with LBD is also afraid of the snow and rain. This is a strange illness. He was a letter carrier and worked out in the rain and snow all the time. Now if he has to go out side with any precipitation he gets very agitated and says things like "now all my clothes are ruined" One way we deal with this is to escape the Wis winters by going to Florida but I don't know how much longer we can continue doing that.
I am sorry you are dealing with this. I wonder if it is a common fear!
Mary

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:28 pm

Mary, I think you've hit on something important. People with Lewy seem to think ordinary things are catastrophic. At least, this is true of my husband. And he was never one to exaggerate.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Mary, thank you for the post. I think that is the problem also with my husband; he perceives something is going to happen. He is unstable at times due to tremors. I bought a pair of Merrell shoes, it does help with stabilty. We may also go to warmer climates for the winter, as both of our children live in cold weather states!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:19 am

When my dad lived in an ALF he would call me in a panic about how he wouldn't be able to get to dinner because of the "bad weather". Sometimes he said it was a snowstorm, sometimes a bad thunderstorm, and the strange thing was, not only was the weather fine, his room was about 30 ft. from the diningroom, all inside! I wonder if this is a common delusion, like the animals and children in the room delusion/hallucination. Lynn

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 pm

My husband also has LBD he is 55. He gets very stressed when it snows and dreads going out to clear it even if I tell him not to do it. It was something he always took care of -even though no one wants to go out and shovel. I think he feels he should do it but really dislikes the task. He started with drastic symptoms in Dec of 2009 and we shopped for a snow blower a month or so before-he was convinced we needed a HUGE snowblower-strange behaviors that I now look back on and see how odd things got before he crashed. He now has nothing to do with the snow blower.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]