View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Four new genes found that play a role in AD 

Post Four new genes found that play a role in AD
This news article on Alzheimer's genetic discoveries may be of interest here. About 80% of DLB co-occurs with Alzheimer's pathology.

Given the sharply falling costs of genetics technology, it's possible to do large-scale genome-wide association studies for not too much money. This article talks about a US study involving genes from 54K people with Alzheimer's Disease and age-matched controls. The lead investigator is Dr. Gerard Schellenberg. The Schellenberg-led team discovered four new genes with a role in AD. Previously researchers had known about six genes, including APOE4, which was discovered in 1995. "APOE, a cholesterol metabolism gene that can increase risk by 400 percent if a person inherits one copy and 1,000 percent if a person inherits a copy from each parent. In contrast, each of the new genes increases risk by no more than 10 to 15 percent."

"Meanwhile, [a] European group, led by Dr. Julie Williams of the School of Medicine at Cardiff University, was engaged in a similar effort. The two groups compared their results and were reassured, Dr. Schellenberg says, that they were pretty much finding the same genes."

The next step is for the American team and the European team to collaborate, increasing the sample size. Dr. Schellenberg is sure that they will find more genes.

Note that this research is only made possible through brain donations.

I've copied the article below.

Robin

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/04/healt ... eimer.html

New Studies on Alzheimer’s Uncover Genetic Links
By Gina Kolata
Published: April 3, 2011
New York Times

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Post Re: Four new genes found that play a role in AD
Hi Robin,

Thanks for posting this. I read it in the NYT this morning and thought it would be good information for the forum.

Julianne

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

I think the author is one of the best medical writers in the US.

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 pm

Good to know! I thought this article was very well written.

Julianne

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:24 pm

That is so interesting. My dad has high cholesterol, even though he is slim, and always had a healthy diet and lifestyle. Unfortunately, I also suffer with high cholesterol, even though I exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet. I have had several xanthoma ?(spelling) (fatty cholesterol deposits) removed from around my eyes. These appeared in my early 30's, which led to my being tested and finding high cholesterol. I know it is genetic, so there is a definite link there with my Dad and the LBD - cholesterol connection.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:45 pm

I don't think we know if there's a cholesterol - LBD connection but there are lots of "hints" that cholesterol is part of AD (but it remains unproven). For most people, the biggest risk factor for determining if you get LBD or AD is probably age.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:20 pm

It sounds as if there is an association between high cholesterol and AD but that doesn't mean the high cholesterol causes the AD. It could just mean that both conditions stem from the same genetic predisposition.

Good article and very interesting.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]