View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 LBD research news is not always what it appears to be... 

Post LBD research news is not always what it appears to be...
There has been a flurry of medical reporting on a recent research story on a possible increased risk of DLB for people who have ADHD. I engaged the SAC on this topic because the conclusions drawn by the papers’ authors concerned me quite a bit.

The research looked at people with DLB, Alzheimer’s and healthy controls, and queried the health controls and family members of the people with dementia about the presence of any ADHD symptoms prior to the development of any dementia. Retrospective studies like this are very hard to interpret correctly, because they rely on peoples’ memory and personal opinions, instead of medical records and clinical diagnoses.

Thankfully, WebMD did some excellent, ‘fair and balanced’ reporting and had some outside expert reviewers look at the research. I was delighted to learn via Jim Leverenz that both he and Doug Galasko of our SAC were two of the experts quoted in the WebMD piece.

I wanted to provide you with a link to LBDA’s reporting on this research, now posted on our website. It includes some cautionary words from our SAC about jumping to conclusions too quickly, until this research is validated by other investigators. http://www.lbda.org/index.cfm?fuseactio ... re_id=5120

Thanks,

Angela

Angela Taylor

Director of Programs

Lewy Body Dementia Association

The Lewy Body Dementia Association is committed to increasing awareness about LBD 365 days a year. LBD families are Standing Strong with LBDA to raise LBD awareness and support throughout the country. Click here to learn more about how you can get involved!

Lewy Body Dementia Association: Increasing Knowledge, Sharing Experience, Building Hope

912 Killian Hill Rd. S.W.

Lilburn, GA 30047

404-935-6444 ext. 201

ataylor@lbda.org

www.lbda.org

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: LBD research news is not always what it appears to be...
Not sure I consider research published in May 2010 to be "recent"...

Here's the abstract of the study mentioned:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2291

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Post Re: LBD research news is not always what it appears to be...
Oh. I thought this meant the "medical reporting" was recent, not necessarily that the research itself was new. It is interesting in either case.

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]