View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Does melanoma rule against brain donation? Robin 

Post Does melanoma rule against brain donation? Robin
Dale had surgery to remove melanoma in 2002. He is under the impression that those who have had melanoma cannot donate organs for any purpose.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:42 am

Post Re: Does melanoma rule against brain donation? Robin
No, melanoma doesn't preclude brain donation. Neither do things like tumors.

The only thing that I know of that requires very special arrangements is CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease) because the tissue in this case could be contagious. CJD is a rapidly progressive dementia. People are usually gone within a year of diagnosis. Only a few centers in the US accept CJD donations.

Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

My mom had been diagnosed wtih malignant melanoma a few days prior to her untimely death from DVTs causing pulmonary emboli, both lungs. She always wanted to be an organ donor and the dr. told me that my mom could not be a donor because of the melanoma diagnosis. She didn't talk about organ donations for research purposes - perhaps if I'd known to ask about that she could have been a donor, but the dr. never suggested it either. Of course, this was the dr. who didn't give her an ultrasound although she'd had DVT symptoms for days after leg surgery, so I suppose I should consider the source!

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Of course rules for organ transplantation are different than rules for organ/tissue donation for medical research.

Another example of this is MRSA. If you've ever had MRSA, some of your organs are not eligible for donation (for transplant).

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]