View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Causes of LBD vs Parkinson's 

Post Causes of LBD vs Parkinson's
I'm signed up for updates from the National Center for Biotechnology Information's PubMed abstracts, with it set to send me any new LBD abstracts. Hope springs eternal, though most of the progress is incremental. I did think this abstract was interesting. They compared the risk factors for Parkinson's Disease and incidental Lewy body disease and found that most of the risk factors were similar. From this they conclude, "At least some cases of [incidental] LBD could represent preclinical Parkinson's Disease, arrested Parkinson's, or a partial syndrome due to a lesser burden of causative factors. Incidental Lewy body disease is not explained by nonspecific end-of-life brain insults."
Abstract is below.
Arch Neurol. 2009 Sep;66(9):1114-9. Comparison of risk factor profiles in incidental Lewy body disease and Parkinson disease.
Frigerio R, Fujishiro H, Maraganore DM, Klos KJ, DelleDonne A, Heckman MG, Crook JE, Josephs KA, Parisi JE, Boeve BF, Dickson DW, Ahlskog JE. Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55902, USA.
OBJECTIVE: To explore whether associations of potential risk factors for incidental Lewy body disease (iLBD) are similar to those for Parkinson disease (PD). DESIGN: Brain autopsy study (1988-2004) of subjects without evidence of neurodegenerative disease or tremor who were evaluated by at least 1 physician within 1 year of death. Researchers analyzed incidental Lewy pathology blinded to clinical abstraction. SETTING: Olmsted County, Minnesota. Subjects Residents of Olmsted County and the immediate vicinity aged older than 60 years. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Whether risk factors previously associated with PD in Olmsted County are also associated with iLBD. RESULTS: Of 235 subjects, 34 had iLBD (14.5%). The overall risk factor profiles for iLBD and PD were fairly similar between the 2 sets of odds ratio (OR) estimates, with 11 of 16 ORs in the same direction. Prior Olmsted County studies documented 7 risk factors with statistically significant associations with PD; for physician occupation and caffeine intake, the ORs for iLBD were in the same direction and statistically significant, whereas for education, head injury, and number of children, they were in the same direction but not significant; they were in the opposite direction but not statistically significant for depression and anxiety. Incidental Lewy body disease was not associated with various end-of-life conditions or causes of death, though these patients were slightly older and more likely cachectic. CONCLUSIONS: Based on this exploratory study, iLBD and PD appear to have similar risk factor profiles. Thus, at least some cases of iLBD could represent preclinical PD, arrested PD, or a partial syndrome due to a lesser burden of causative factors. Incidental Lewy body disease is not explained by nonspecific end-of-life brain insults.
PMID: 19752300

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:25 am

The terminology is so damn confusing! Incidental Lewy body disease is NOT what we call Lewy Body Dementia.

An additional confusion is that there is actually no pathological diagnostic criteria for PD! So we'd have to read the full paper to see what they are referring to when they say they looked at PD cases.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Post A cure or research
Robin, is there any hope at all for LBD LO's?? What is being done in research or is there any? I am tiring fast in taking care of my wife of 45 years. But, I will not put her in any facility until I am worn to the point of not being able to take care of her. Her constipation problems were taken care of with Senna Plus. She just started having hallucinations almost all during the night in the past few weeks. Sometimes during the day she is alright. Then out of the blue she will tell the dog (Which we don't have) to sit. She has started wanting to get dressed at 0130. Thanks for anything you have to give. :(

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am

Our neurologist has told us that, aside from the medications my husband is already taking, there is nothing that can be done to halt or delay the inevitable decline. We were told this by another neurologist, as well. I don't believe they are trying to dash our hopes, but to direct us into realistic planning.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

There's some research going on in the LBD world -- some basic science, a mouse model, and we are starting to see some (human) brain research. We are starting to see some very small trials with already-approved medication (eg, Namenda, Aricept). I'm unaware of any clinical trials with experimental medication. (Most things that I read about I post here in the "LBD Research" area.)

Personally, I think the best hope for a disease-delaying drug will be from the PD world or the AD world. I'm sorry to say but I very much doubt that there's anything being researched that will be available in time as a new treatment for your wife.

Robin

PS. Did I recommend the "meal clock" to you previously?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Robin, no you didn't recommend the meal clock. Please tell me.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I found an old post of mine in a thread about sundowning that refers to the meal clock. I went ahead and started a new thread on the meal clock itself. See:
http://community.lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2186

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]