View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nilvadipine and amyloid reduction in the brain 

Post Nilvadipine and amyloid reduction in the brain
The Roskamp Institute in Sarasota, FL, is conducting a joint research project with Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience (Dublin, Ireland) on the use of Nilvadipine to prevent or reverse AD.

From their press release:

What do you hope to learn from the Nilvadipine clinical study?

a) In mice Nilvadipine increases cerebral blood flow – we want to see whether it can do the same for Alzheimer patients.

b) In pre-clinical studies Nilvadipine increases the blood levels of amyloid in mice and reduces them in the brain – we want to see whether it can increase the levels of amyloid in the blood Alzheimer patients. This may indicate that it is clearling amyloid from the brain.

c) We want to see whether there is any change in cognitive abilities over the period of treatment that might be associated with increased cerebral blood flow.
<snip>

Japanese researchers have already studied nilvadipine and its usefulness in vascular dementia.

I only learned of this study because my sister works for a US Congressman in Sarasota and a constituent came to talk to her about moving to the UK so he could gain access to this medication for his wife with AD.

The Roskamp Institute is a not-for-profit private research institute devoted to understanding causes and finding cures for neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders and addictions. The Institute utilizes a broad range of scientific approaches to understanding the causes of, and potential therapies for these disorders with an emphasis on Alzheimers disease. The Institute is located in Sarasota, Florida and operates a memory clinic and clinical research offices in Tampa, Florida. A main goal of the Roskamp Institute is to discover novel and effective treatments for Alzheimer's disease.

Here's the full press release, and if you do a search on google, you'll fund info on the Japanese studies on Nilvadipine:

http://www.rfdn.org/news_release_090806_faq.html

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Post Thanks Renata!
Gosh, this sounds so promising. The work being done!

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks for posting this. I smile to think about people moving just to get access to a treatment. We are so desperate!
Robin

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Post Re: Nilvadipine and amyloid reduction in the brain
[quote="raffcons"]I only learned of this study because my sister works for a US Congressman in Sarasota

Hi Renata,
Can you tell me who the Congressman is?

Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]