View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Antibiotics and other prescriptions 

Post Antibiotics and other prescriptions
Mr B. and I are recovering from a week in Never Never Land brought on by [of all things] an antibiotic called SULFAMETHOXAZOLE-TMP DS TABITP.

Mr B. re-acted to this drug exactly as he did to LIPITOR [given to him before I knew about Lewy Body]. I stayed with the Lipitor for three months before matching it up with his behavior as the culprit. I was beginning to search for a nursing home because i could not have cared for him at home. I stayed with this above mentioned antibiotic only six days {thank you again LBDA for this forum}

The antibiotic was a replacement for CEPHALEXIN 500 MG CAPSULE TEV which left his brain alone but played havoc with his intestines... he felt so sick.

The reason my doctor is giving him an antibiotic is because of the large boil on his back. I was faced with the treatment decision before Thanksgiving. Of course the medical people in charge wanted him to go have it lanced and be done with it... I can always second guess myself when I chose to treat it at home with old timey remedy of Epsom Salts and Ichtammol ointment. It was a successful but long term healing process. Probably not the best decision but remembering how he has gone out of his mind at another brief hospital out patient stay and me not knowing how he would react to the deadening injections I made this decision. He NEVER had fever from it. I did not know how to have him transported because medicare does not pick up the ambulance fee for him without an appeal and then the appeal must come from him [really??]. I did not have Durable Power of Attorney at that time, I am just his wife of sixty- six years. [I have DPOA now!!!}

The abscess is 98% healed but our careful doctor wanted to check on his blood and found him to be anemic. Unusual for Mr B. Dr W. started him on OTC Feosol every other day and the first antibiotic CEPHALEXIN. I waited a few days after the iron before starting the antibiotic so I could abserve his re-action to each.

Before starting a replacement, I wanted to go back and see if I could find a successful replacement. l called CVS to speak with a pharmacist. We get all our meds from the same drug store. I could not believe my ears when talking with this young man, he said his grandmother had LEWY BODY DEMENTIA and passed away last October. Our small town! And I found him in our local CVS. He is helping me get a printout of Mr B's meds for the last two years but also sending me with a phonecall where I should be able to recieve a copy of all the meds both CVS and Eckerd's have filled for him... in the past forever. This may answer so many of my questions about our journey with this illness. I promise I will keep you posted.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:52 pm

What a detective you are! Thanks for all the useful details. I hope Mr. B recovers soon.
Robin

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Dorthea, Jerome reacted badly to the same antibiotic, so I make sure to tell medical people that he is allergic to all sulfa-based drugs. I guess many "normal" people have an allergy to sulfa drugs. In Jerome's case it made him VERY confused, disoriented, etc. So, hope others keep an eye out for a similar reaction so the antibiotic can be stopped as quickly as possible if necessary.

Any pharmacy can give you a printout of every drug purchased, dates, quantities, what you paid, etc. Just ask the pharmacist. You usually have to sign a HIPAA form and they can do the printout right there. We, too, use CVS. Getting that printout each year is awfully helpful for tax preparation purposes -- simply ask for a printout for Jan. 1 to Dec. 31.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:07 am

My dad has reacted to Zyvox, Levaquin and most recently to Amoxicillin! In all cases he returned to more normal stated with 24 hours of last dose...scary thing if he ever develops an infection...we know what we are in for! Sharon

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]