View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dopaminergic meds have limited benefit in DLB 

Post Dopaminergic meds have limited benefit in DLB
The results of this small experiment done at Rush University (in Chicago) led the researchers to "suggest that dopaminergic medications have limited benefit in DLB because of the low likelihood of motor improvement and the risk of psychosis exacerbation."

The recently published abstract is copied below.

Robin

Movement Disorders. 2008 Sep 29. [Epub ahead of print]

Effects of dopaminergic medications on psychosis and motor function in dementia with Lewy bodies.

Goldman JG, Goetz CG, Brandabur M, Sanfilippo M, Stebbins GT.
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois.

Dopaminergic treatment in dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) requires balancing risk of worsened psychosis and potential motor benefit. We assessed the effects of increased dopaminergic medication on psychosis and motor function in DLB.

We studied 19 subjects fulfilling probable DLB Consensus criteria before and after increased dopaminergic medications. Standard clinical measures included:
Thought Disorder score from the Unified Parkinson's disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) Part I,
total motor score (UPDRS Part III), and
Hoehn-Yahr (H&Y) stage.

Motor benefit defined as >10% improvement over baseline UPDRS Part III score, occurred in only one-third of subjects. In this group, worsened hallucinations or psychosis developed in one-third. Considering motor benefit without exacerbation of psychosis as our aim, only 4 DLB subjects (22%) achieved this goal.

Our results suggest that dopaminergic medications have limited benefit in DLB because of the low likelihood of motor improvement and the risk of psychosis exacerbation.

PubMed ID#: 18823039

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:51 am

I guess I concur with this finding...Tony has had his stalevo,sinemet reduced significantly by his neuro...hallucinations and delusions are all b ut gone. He is having some trouble "getting going with wallking" but when we say, "big steps" he takes off. He is also more attentive with TV and answering questions instead of looking at me with a blank stare. Good to have a neuro who may actually be paying attention.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]