View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Reason why Dementia Patients Shouldn't Drive 

Post The Reason why Dementia Patients Shouldn't Drive
So very sad for the family :( http://www.wsbtv.com/ap/ap/georgia/ala- ... ath/nf8pJ/

Ten bucks says his dementia started a while ago and affected his depth perception and reaction time, leading to the accident. Then the head injury (and assuming the medication given post accident), triggered the violence. :cry:

Thu May 29, 2014 8:56 am

Post Re: The Reason why Dementia Patients Shouldn't Drive
This needs to be a discussion in the national media. There are WAY too many people driving who don't have the mental or physical capacity to be doing so. We went to the local sheriff who lived a few houses away from my dad and asked him to have my dad tested at the DMV. Somehow my 86 yr. old dad with dementia got his license renewed for TEN MORE YEARS!!! I finally had to take the car keys away (a month later) and tell him he absolutely could not drive if he could barely walk. This was before I even knew he had dementia. Lynn

Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm

My dear daughter-in-law refused to allow the grandchildren to ride with Mr Bobby but she offered to drive him anywhere he needed/wanted to go. And she fulfilled that promise for years after that until his death. All I had to do was pick up the phone and tell her Mr Bobby needed her. I was so blessed. I carefully watched that I did not take advantage of her loving nature but I knew when she was needed she would come. {I cry when I remember after all this time}

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice", This is the way my husband, Mr B., introduced me in 2006 to the people only he knew. Death due to pneumonia. Lewy Body Dementia diagnosed post mortem at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida.

Thu May 29, 2014 4:21 pm

What a lovely posting, Dorothea, and I am sending you a gigantic hug this afternoon. When my kids got their licenses and would visit my dad I would tell them they HAD to drive. Even that many years ago I didn't think his driving was very safe. We were extremely lucky that he did not have an accident. Lynn

Thu May 29, 2014 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]