View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Today I took the dog's pills! 

Post Today I took the dog's pills!
My wife runs my meds. She has for quite a while. She puts my pills in a compartmentalized meds box we keep on our "Command Center". I take my pills when I get up, in the afternoon, and in the evening. She checks after me and sometimes I do forget. I have a thyroid pill I have to take before I can eat in the morning. Even before I can have coffee! So, I never forget that pill. My miniature poodle takes the same med for his thyroid! I always give him his pill at the same time I take mine. It has worked good up to yesterday. My morning routine was changed because we were going somewhere, I forget where. I was in a hurry and I took the dogs thyroid meds!! I did not know until I went to gov whim his and I noticed it was gone from his pill box! I survived but I don't want to repeat that event. This served as an indicator that I have "slipped a cog" in the progress of my disease. But we knew that. Still it was a sobering event and a traumatic day.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Post Re: Today I took the dog's pills!
Donald, we all make mistakes and you were not harmed so don't beat yourself up over it. You are in my prayers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 am

Post Re: Today I took the dog's pills!
Thanks for your encouraging reply. I agree, we all do make mistakes. But in the case of someone with LBD, or at least in my case, those mistakes have become chart points on the course of a downward curve. Because of how I was trained during a long Navy career, I chart progress. There have been past "mistakes" that marked other downward course corrections. I try to be an objective person when it comes to my disease. Yes, I have my moments of hope, normally during a "god" streak. But an event always occurs, like taking the dog's pills, that let me know I have progressed farther that I thought. But, encouragement and understanding are always welcomed and sought after.

It is very easy to concentrate on the bad things impacting your life, especially when you know it will not get better. My wife and I still try to do fun things and have good experiences. We just have to tailor them to my issues. She now monitors the pill distribution. But I still get to give the dogs their pills. It is a trade off that works. Thanks for your reply and your prayers!!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]