View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Flaky skin on face 

Post Flaky skin on face
My mother is currently in assisted living and I went there today with the idea that I was going to take her to church. When I arrived, she was not at all in a mental state to be taken someplace. While I was there, however, I did notice that her face was covered in dry and flaking skin. I was wondering if anyone has found a reasonable way to deal with that? Given that she is in assisted living and given that the weather is very very cold and dry right now, I don't know what the best way to address this issue is. I will check tomorrow to see if they will allow me to get her a humidifier for her room, but I suspect that some of this problem is the disease. I also was wondering - has anyone had this problem and found a reasonable way to deal with it? Would a facial or something help or would that damage the skin? Just curious - I am fairly certain that flakey skin is disconcerting to her since she is ALWAYS picking at her skin. Thanks for any thoughts.

Liz

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Post Re: Flaky skin on face
Hi Liz; My husband has this problem also. We have found that Ketoderm takes it away. It comes back but with one or two days of using this it goes away again. When I was nursing I found that many Parkinson's patients had this problem. Hope this helps. Anne

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:25 pm

We used Aveeno on my husband's face and T-Sal was the only thing that took care of his scalp seborrhea.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Thank you ladies so much! I am going to be sure to try both of your suggestions!! I took her to the doctor today and her skin is flakey again! I appreciate so much the help that those of you with more experience than I have are willing to give. It is an odd thing to be trying to figure out what is best to do for one's mother. I can't ask my mother for advice and this is one of the most difficult things that I have ever had to deal with in my life. Thank you again for your willingness to share!

Liz

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 pm

Glad I saw this. My husband has horrible red, flakie skin on his nose all the time :(

I'll ask the doctor about Ketoderm.

Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 am

Cortisone cream really helped alleviate my husband's facial problems that started about 2 years before he passed. I presumed the irritation was due to medication or someone shaving him roughly but not sure...

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 pm

My dad had an itchy ankle for about 2 - 3 yr. before he died. His skin did not appear abnormal in any way, but he went through a lot of cortisone cream, which was the only way to relieve his itchiness. I guess it was just another one of those weird Lewy things - phantom itching??? Placebo effect??? Interestingly, in MD he could not buy cortisone over the counter, so I'd bring it from VT where it is legal as an over the counter med. Lynn

Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi All; When I was working in Nursing I found that many Parkinson's patients had this flakey skin. My husband has either Parkinson's Disease Dementia or Lewy Body. Both are caused by the same Lewy Bodies in the brain. He never complains about any itchiness and I don't recall any of my former patients doing so. Hope this helps. AnneN

Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 pm

According to the autopsy, my husband had Alzheimer's... NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was autopsied...

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Thu May 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi all, My mother also had the flaky, very dry skin. Regular application of a body lotion or face cream seemed to keep it under control. I think dry skin is fairly common in older people in general. I always thought my mom needed to drink more water. She always had a glass of water beside her but I never saw an empty one so I'm not sure she drank very much of it!

Tue May 20, 2014 12:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]