View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Isn't he getting any better? 

Post Isn't he getting any better?
I don't know about you but every day a neighbor or someone else I run into asks about my husband. Usually, it's, "How is your husband doing?" "Isn't he getting any better yet?" "When will he get to come home?", etc. I know these people mean well but I get tired of having to state, "I'm afraid he isn't going to get any better. LBD is a progressive disease". What do you say?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Post Re: Isn't he getting any better?
Oh Pat, it is so hard when people are clueless about the disease and what is going on. One of my dad's friends kept asking that every time I talked with her. I'd just say "he has a progressive disease and will only continue to get worse." (she was an RN BTW, which was really confusing about why she didn't get it.) Other people would ask how he was and I'd say pretty much the same thing to them. There was no sense in beating around the bush and acting like everything was roses. It wasn't. I'd just encourage them to visit him while he still wanted to have visitors and would suggest little things they could take him that would lift his spirits. Hang in there, you've done an incredible job Pat. Lynn

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm

It's one of those things people say because they don't know what else to say.

I just smile and say "Thank you for asking about him. But while he won't get better-only worse, today (or yesterday or whenever) was a good day. We hold onto the good days."

If possible, I'll point them to www.lbda.org so they can learn the basics of it. Many do so and then come back to say "Ohhhh, I had no idea!"

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Now I can say, he passed away last Saturday at home. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Oh I'm so very sorry :(

I pray that you're surrounded by others who can love on you and pray you through.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]