View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Sleeping all the time 

Post Sleeping all the time
I'm fairly new to this message board and in need of your advice. My husband has PD and LBD was diagnosed in 2009. He is 64. He had had a severe decline the past week. Mentally he can barely function. He woke up today at 11am ate a bowl of cereal, I gave him his Sinemet and Namenda. I changed his Excelon patch and helped him to the bathroom. He wanted to go to bed and has now been sleeping since noon. It's now after 5pm. He hasn't moved. Are we going into a new stage. He did the same thing yesterday. No fever, no uti that I know of. When he's "awake" he's got his eyes closed. What's going on? Do I let him just sleep?

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Post Re: Sleeping all the time
haven't had this happen .. so i can only offer hugs and strength....im so sorry you are both going thru this... have you called the doc.. to see if maybe, one of the meds are causing this...?? please take care and stay in touch!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 pm

LBD'ers do tend to sleep a great deal but I have found that if the decline is sudden as you have expressed it often is something going on either infection of medication. Now when they get into the very end stage they do sleep about 18-20 hours in the day but if not at that point they often just have their eyes closed and I believe it is because the world they see just confuses them even more !

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:38 pm
Profile WWW

My mom sleeps a lot, also. Some days she's very alert but other days she sleeps most of the day, having to be woke up for meals. It doesn't matter how well she sleeps at night. My mom is very alert and her cognitive ability is great right now, when she is awake. She has been able to read again so a lot of times she will wake up and read for a while in the middle of the night. We have a double keyed dead bolt on our exterior doors so she can't get outside and I just let her sleep whenever she wants, read when she wants. Excessive daytime sleeping is a symptom of the slowing down of the brain, and will increase as the disease progresses.
Ellen

Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 am

Thank you all for your help. We have a dr. appt today to get things checked out.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]