View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rashes, boils, other skin irritations 

Post Rashes, boils, other skin irritations
My husband, Charles has a very low white cell count which probably is not going to improve. It is caused by treatment for RA, and it is called Felty's Syndrome. His count fell to .5 during his last hospitalization 3 weeks ago, and it went back to .8 by the time we left. His former oncologist whom I had several conversations with at the hospital said that he just has no immune system to fight off bacteria on the skin or otherwise. He has had several significant boils, one under his arm and now an ulcer type one has shown up in his groin area, along with a bad rash. He has several other small bumps here and there. The Primary dr told me to just stay after the bumps with an antibiotic cream which I am doing. He also had a rash on one foot that goes and comes and I have finally quit using Rx antifungals and started using Desenexx and the rash has cleared up on his foot. He also is saying he may have an ulcer in the back of his mouth which I have not been able to see. The boil under his arm was extremely hard to get rid of. His skin is so fragile because of chemo and radiation in 2002 from colon cancer. I just feel so badly for him with all the different things that are wrong with him that we have to doctor every night, but he still never complains. I was wondering if others have dealt with this type thing and what you may have used, etc. Also, has anyone heard that too much sugar can cause toxins to come out. He eats a lot of sweets. Sandra

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Post Re: Rashes, boils, other skin irritations
My husband has not had to endure those issues, thankfully, but as an RN I have seen many patients whose immune systems were compromised from the use of immunosuppressant drugs for RA or for organ transplants. Is your husband still on these medications? I would seek the advice of a rheumatologist if he is not currently under one's care. It sounds like a miserable situation and you will both be in my prayers.

BTW, excess sugar in the diet does seem to increase the likelihood of yeast infections. Have you tried sugar substitutes?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Post Re: Rashes, boils, other skin irritations
Pat,
My husband is under care of an IM dr who treats his RA. He has been seeing this dr since the dr started his practice here over 30 years ago, and he is doing a good job and seemingly taking extra time and care with my husband. My husband is and has been on prednisone since he was in his early 20's, and we know about the side effects. He is only taking 5 mlg but has to up it from time to time in past year. He did take other meds (a number of different ones) for his RA, but is on nothing else now. He just has flare ups from time to time and they give him shots which last for several months.

I tried a remedy someone told me about on the ulcer in his groin area last night, and it looks amazingly better today, so I have doctored it again today and will do again tonight and see if I can get it to go away on my own.

I am going to start using sugar substitutes for him. He just likes desserts too much and I love to bake. That is about the only thing I have left that I can do and care for him at the same time.

Thanks for your answer and for all you do. God bless you!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]