View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Coping with dreams that seem real. 

Post Coping with dreams that seem real.
I just wanted to share this incase anybody hasn't tried it yet.
My dad wakes up from scary dreams that he thinks are real. I used to try and convince him that they were just dreams but he got even more agitated and would be up and down all night.
One night he was complaining about all the people partying in his bedroom so I just turned round and said ' ok all of you , party over, you can all get out and go home now my Dad is tired and wants to sleep' I was surprised to find that Dad accepted it readily and went straight back to sleep and didn't wake again that night. One night he was frightened of a big hole in the middle of his floor so I told him to go back to sleep and I'd get my husband Marc to fill it in. Again it worked perfectly. Since then it has never failed to calm him as he trusts us to sort the problem out for him.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am

Post Re: Coping with dreams that seem real.
:lol: That reminds me of the time my husband was bothered by the presence of 'someone' in the corner of the living room. I jumped up, excitedly, which always gets the dog to bark, and told him that the dog had chased him away. It worked.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:12 am

This is kind of a funny story but one day my husband insisted there were bugs on the walls and he started to panic and I was ioning and I always keep a water bottle near when I iron just in case of a tough wrinkle, well I started spraying the walls with this water bottle and I was saying "look they are going" He actually calmed down and of course I felt like a total nut but hey it worked !!

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:49 pm
Profile WWW

I'm new to the forum, and I haven't seen anything yet that addresses one of my concerns. Recently my husband got up during the night and thought that we had a tiger in our house. I'm fairly sure that it was something that he had dreamed and thought was real when he woke up. The problem was that he wanted to call 911. I pretended to search the house, and told him that I didn't see the tiger, and if we closed the doors to our bedrooms we would be safe until the morning. I also told him that if the tiger was still there in the morning, we would call 911 then. That seemed to satisfy him. My question is has anyone had their loved one actually call 911, and if so, how did you handle it?

Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:29 am

HI Susie and welcome to the forum! I think the hallucinations were the first part of LBD that my father and I had a real hard time with. First it was worms in the rug, then a marmot under the bed, then a family who had moved into the living room in the middle of the night. So my mom called 911 and my father didn't know about it until the police rang the doorbell at 4:00 in the morning! They were very understanding when my Dad explained the situation. In the daytime, when these things appeared we found the only way to deal with them, was to humour my mom - and then change the topic. Trying to talk her out of a hallucination only made things worse. So, we collected imaginary bugs and put them in a jar and my sister-in-law even drove my mom and the jar to the exterminator so they could look at them. Then they went for coffee on the way home and got on another topic. Distraction is the best medicine there! Good luck and laugh when you have to - sometimes that's all that got us through!

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 am

Shortly after my mom started showing worrisome symptoms, we put a bar in our sliding patio door and changed our deadbolt on our front door to a double keyed type to keep mom from "escaping" when we were asleep. About midnight one night my sister knocked on my bedroom door and told me that " mom just called 911 and told them we were holding her here against her will". My sister got on the phone with the 911 operator and explained that mom has dementia, the operator told her that the police would have to come by anyway just to verify the situation. The officers who came by were very understanding when we explained the situation, and now, of course, we laugh about it.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:10 am

I think everyone caring for a person with a dementia should let their local law enforcement know they have someone in the home that has it because at some point or another many will end up calling the police, their fears are so real as many just carry their sleeping dreams over the their waking world just as they are still asleep!

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]