View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Putting briefs on Mom 

Post Putting briefs on Mom
So here's the thing. Mom's ability to stand is no longer reliable. We're trying to help her be able to sit on the toilet for BMs. She wears disposable briefs and pad for urinary incontinence, but she has control of her bowels, and obviously we want to encourage that continuing. I can get the briefs off OK before we help her stand and move to toilet or bedside commode--just cut them---but putting them on is a challenge when she is truly dead weight, which is fast becoming the rule rather than the exception. Dad holds her while I pull things up, but it's pretty hard on Mom. I have looked for techniques to use for this and have come up empty on YouTube and Google. Ideas? Tools? We have used a gait belt to keep her up, but still, it's tough on her,and the position Dad is in gets in way of getting things up. I'm guessing it would not have to be so hard if we got in the right position.
I'm also not sure how to put underwear on her in bed, which could be an option. Her left arm is awfully sore from what we think is a pinched nerve in neck, so rolling her onto her side can be painful for her. So I've been reluctant to experiment much with rolling back and forth to get things on.
Any experiences, ideas, etc. are welcome. Thanks.

Tue May 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Post Re: Putting briefs on Mom
On good days, my mom can still hold on to a grab bar next to the toilet which helps her remain upright while we clean her and pull her pants back up. We put her feet through the leg holes of the Depends and pants while she's still sitting down so that we don't have to get her feet through them while standing. My mom lives in an assisted living facility for dementia patients, and today I asked the caregiver what they do about changing pants when the resident can no longer stand at all. She said they use a special chair. I didn't ask anymore about it, but maybe someone else knows how to describe "the special chair" they might use for this purpose.

Fri May 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks so much for asking the folks at AL about our challenge. What a kind thing to do. We're still struggling, but getting some better with the practice of it. Sounds as if your current routine with your mom is what we have been doing with my mom for the last 2.5 years. We are in a new phase, I'm afraid. Thanks for responding.

Sun May 20, 2012 8:11 am

Actually, I hadn't yet seen your post, so I'd asked in regards to my own mom since she's getting closer to not being able to help at all. But since I've seen your post, I plan to ask them more about that special chair and maybe ask if I can see it so I can describe it better. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sun May 20, 2012 1:17 pm

I found out today that the "special chair" is just a bedside commode. They still have to get the patient up and out of bed, but it's put at bed level, so the caregiver more or less just slides the patient onto it and holds him/her up.

Fri May 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi Donna,

Have you tried the adult diapers that are open on both sides? They tape shut just like a babies diaper, no need to have to step into those small leg openings. I have used them with two different clients and they worked great. Just a thought.

Marilyn

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 am

We've gotten much better at putting the briefs on Mom, whether while we help her stand during transfer to the commode or while she is in bed. Practice makes perfect, or at least quicker. We may need to start using diapers, but she really hates those when she is aware enough to care. The days where she has that awareness are indeed dwindling, but still there about 50 percent of the time. Thank you for the thoughts.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]