View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Toilets that won't clog 

Post Toilets that won't clog
Hi everyone,
I am researching toilets that will not plug up so much. If there IS such a thing! I am a bit confused and wondering if someone might have found a good one they could recommend. We just spent a lot of time unplugging my Dad's toilet today, and this happens A LOT, so we are now seriously looking for a solution. This toilet IS an old one, from the early 60's, probably, with a large, weird shaped hole that makes it very hard to fit a plunger on it. Therefore, it takes a really long time to get it to go down. My husband and the caregivers spend a lot of time on this, but my husband does it best!!! He did it in only 5 minutes today!
I would like to make this one of their less frequent duties, and it upsets Dad to no end as well.
Dad is leasing this home, and it is of course our responsibility to insure that we keep the house in good order. I will need to discuss any such changes we might make with the landlord, a dicey subject... and I am starting to get worried about how he might feel about continuing our lease, with this issue, so I haven't yet brought it up to him. Plus it is a septic system.
We would like to keep Dad here right now if we can, but we have started looking at facilities with more care for him as well.
At any rate, if the landlord is agreeable, we are willing to replace the toilet ourselves with one that would solve the plugging problem or at least minimize it.
I have read on the forum that others are dealing with the plugged toilet problem as well, and wonder...
Can anyone recommend a good model that might help us all out?
Thanks for any help with this. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Deb

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Post Re: Toilets that won't clog
I would recommend one that isn't a 'water saver'. When my husband was home, ours in the 'master bath' was getting plugged occasionally, as he would have very large amounts of stool and the water-saving design wouldn't accommodate it very well. Our other toilet was better but it was too low. I had grab bars installed in the master bathroom for shower and toilet and it was more convenient to use but I had to use the plunger on occasion.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you Pat, yeah the water-savers sure aren't helping the cause. I hadn't thought of grab bars for the toilet, the height of the toilet is fine, but now that you mention it, grab bars would be a help there too. (He has grab bars in the shower now.) Last couple days have gone okay...
we'll look around and see what we can find that isn't a water-saver...thanks

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:22 pm

If you're setting up the house for in home care, I'd suggest visiting a home care supply store or look on-line and see what all is available. I did not know how many products were out there until I needed to!! A higher toilet seat is easier to sit on and get up from, there are bath chairs for in the shower or stools that sit across a tub and allow you to sit and get in and out over the side of the tub, bars at the side of the toilet are a must. There are poles to hang on to to get out of bed with, you ca actually buy hospital beds (second hand is great), there are belts to help your LO stand up with. on and on - definitely worth a look! Sorry never did find a toilet that plugged less. :(

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:45 pm

We installed a toilet that the plumber swore by. He said it was the brand/style he had in his own home. I helped some, but our clogging problem was reduced more by focusing on the bowel movement. My husband's were very dry and claylike, so I think not flexible enough to go down. I had tried different things like adding fiber to his diet, stool softeners, prunes, drinking water, etc. It works best if we do all of them. Plus we added Miralax daily, which was recommended at a caregiver support group. We've been doing this for a few months and only clog occasionally, actually it has been a couple of weeks since the last one.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 am

Thanks for the replies. With regard to fiber, yes, lately we have been concentrating on increasing dietary fiber too, and I guess we will have to give this strategy some time before we know how well the approach is working. (As far as researching toilets goes, I've discovered that it's dazzling the number of toilet styles that are out there --- jetted, dual flush, pressure-assist --- good grief!, and I am just so confused now --- that I have stopped looking for the moment and will ask my carpenter/plumber friend for his advice on this at some point, I think.) I guess there are no easy answers. :| Will hope for the best with the increased fiber and see where this takes us first, I guess, for now. Best wishes to everyone in the New Year.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:13 am

Back to the fiber issue: My husband gets 2 Fiber Con pills a day, plus has orders to eat 3 pieces of fruit throughout the day and then I add veggies at dinner. So far, this has held off the constipation for months. Sometimes he'll have --shall we say-- "large Acts of Congress" and the toilet will get stopped up, but 1 big pot of water dumped quickly down usually does the trick.

Also, Benefiber is a great way to add fiber to absolutely everything they eat or drink. It totally disappears and is tasteless ;)

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 am

I wish my Dad WOULD eat fruit OR vegetables!!! But he despises them!!! We have been giving Citracal for a couple of months now and will continue doing so. Suddenly though, he does not want to eat much at all. He gets angry when we serve him dinner. What used to work was giving him casserole type foods with the vegs mixed in. We just would never say there were vegetables in there, and he didn’t seem to notice what was on the plate. Fruits he notices. He won’t eat bananas. He hates apples, etc. We used to be able to get him to eat without THIS much
trouble… (For the last few weeks or so we had tried to add different foods with more fiber, but he is adamantly declining those now.) So now we are back to what he’s used to, but he is now refusing even his usual favorite meals. As a result we continue to supplement with energy drinks (the only thing besides beer and ice cream that he really asks for). But a warm meal, well, he just isn’t interested. He doesn't see the need for food he says. He seems to think there’s too much food even when we serve smaller portions, saying he doesn't know WHY we are trying to make him eat "I don't need to eat, why are you always trying to feed me" and usually he will complain that there is too much on his plate when it is just a normal portion. Last night he wouldn't eat his usual dinner favorite, so this is becoming extremely worrisome. Its tough to get him to eat much now. Consulted w/ his neuro about this issue the day before yesterday and he says not to try to force him, and to just keep the protein drinks going, mix them with ice cream (which he LOVES!) so we will just keep doing the best we can. He has lost some weight, but last night he was weighed at the ER, and even though he looks skinny, his weight seems to have stabilized somewhat. No idea how he is maintaining it, except with the ice cream maybe. If he doesn't start eating soon, tho he WILL lose more weight. It's been about a 10 lb. loss over the past few months. His caregivers are worried and I am worried. He is a very social person, so we are now thinking of assisted living memory care, where he might be able to interact w/ peers. When he goes to occasional dinners as a guest at our local ALF he seems quite happy to be in company of peers (which is a big turnaround from when we tried ALF before!), and on these outings he eats much better. He is fecaly incontinent frequently now, and his urinary incontinence has also increased (thus the trip last night to the ER to rule out UTI, which they did rule out) SO thinking the time is coming, or has come, to look for a better solution. Wow that turned into a dissertation. I just want him to be happy! As a side note, I have to say I am now starting to wonder if he thinks the food is causing his incontinence!!! What if he is thinking that if he stops eating... that the accidents will also stop??? Anybody else thinking this with their LO's? He is always treated kindly and with great understanding and reassurance whenever it happens of course, but he nonetheless becomes deeply upset about it every single time. It confuses him, he denies it, and he rails against the injustices being done to his mind and body, still. He becomes extremely agitated over the accidents, tries to clean up himself, and makes it much worse, spreading it all over the house. I do not know what we would ever do without our wonderful caregivers because I cannot be there all of the time, and he does not enjoy it when i have to clean up. He accepts the caregivers help more easily than mine for no other reason than that I am his daughter, I guess; he thinks it is too much for me to deal with, but ANY accident basically ruins his whole day. Toilet plugs don’t bother him tho ­ - he just blames the toilet! But he blames everything else, including his inability to drive on one thing: his blood-thinner, coumadin. Don't understand where this association ever came from, but he firmly believes that it is the single cause of all his troubles. I don't argue anymore. He simply cannot accept or get used to ANYTHING about this disease. And I don’t blame him. It’s horrible in every way imaginable. And as far as the incontinence, he does forget about it later. So maybe this is not what he is thinking by not eating. I sure hope this is not what he is thinking anyway, because when he gets a thought in his mind he obsesses. However, that thought occurred to me the other day, and I just cant get it out of my mind! It scares me to think about the possibility of him thinking he doesn't need to eat. Explaining that we all need to eat meets with no acceptance. I know everyone on this forum feels the same way, so do I even need to say how much I despise Lewy Body? But it makes me feel better to say it, almost as if by saying it out loud that I have something concrete to lash out at.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:51 pm

We all hate Lewy. :cry: Lewy stole my husband.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

*Hugs*

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am

Debora - I'd have him evaluated by hospice if he isn't already receiving services from them. He may be at end of life, in which case forcing him to eat may not be the best thing for him, counter-intuitive as that sounds. Lots of sleeping, not wanting to eat or drink is usually indicative of being in end stage. It's so hard, isn't it? Wishing you the best for today, Lynn

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 am

OH it is sooo hard! You will know when the time is right to make the move and your Dad may feel less upset with accidents if they happen at the care home where he may allow himself to be "sick" whereas at home he may expect himself to be as he always was. Just a thought as I see this with my MIL. Hang in there!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]