View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Waking up from Dreams 

Post Re: Waking up from Dreams
Pat,
Thanks - that was very insightful. I think you are right on target.

Sun May 13, 2012 3:21 pm

While on this topic: My husband has been sleeping better than he used to, and right now his is not experiencing such active dreams that he wakes up and roams. However, I have been having dreams that wake me up in the middle of the night, and then I can't get back to sleep. My counselor suggested that maybe I consider taking medication for sleep, but I am concerned that I may not be able to wake if my husband begins experiencing 'episodes' again.
What are some of your experiences with this? Is it wise to take a sleeping pill when you need to be a vigilant caregiver?

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Church Lady - very infrequently I have taken prescription sleeping pills (Ambien, or generic equivalent). They do NOT recommend taking that (and probably other sleep meds) if there is a good chance that a you won't get 8 hr. of UNINTERRUPTED sleep. The first time I took an Ambien (I took 1 whole one like my dr. recommended) I woke up because my teenage kids came home after I'd gone to bed. I am a light sleeper, so despite the sleeping pill, noise awakened me. I got up to see what was going on, was hallucinating, slurred speech, could barely stand upright. It looked like the furniture was flying in circles around the ceiling. My kids asked me if I was drunk (I barely drink alcohol).
I have never taken a whole 1 since then. If I need one, I take 1/2 or 1/4 and that is enough to provide me with a good night's sleep and I wake up EXACTLY 8 hr. later.
If I were a CG at night, I wouldn't take this. I might take 1/2 a Benadryl or Tylenol PM (which I think has Benadryl in it).
Talk with your dr. about your situation and I'll bet they won't want you to take anything stronger than one of those since you will probably need to provide CG duties in the middle of the night. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Lynn

Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 pm

I will never take Ambien. Nasty stuff. Trazodone seems much more likely. I see the point of the broken sleep pattern though. Hmmm..

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:40 pm

It sounds like you've had a bad experience with Ambien. It's been ok for me as long as I take a tiny dose.
I don't like flying and have been tempted to take something when on a long flight, but if there were an emergency, I know I'd not be able to get off a plane with Ambien in my system.
How about a glass of wine before you go to bed? About once a year I've done that when I couldn't get to sleep, but not more than 1. 1 for most women helps make you tired and relaxed, 2 or more interrupts sleep patterns.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2