View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Getting around easier…Mobility Scooter 

Post Getting around easier…Mobility Scooter
I am not waiting around to find myself unable to get around and find myself without the ability to buy things that might make my progression with this disease easier…

I have got to the point that if a place doesn't have a scooter provided…store….point of interest….then I don't want to go…

so…I started looking for used equipment….I found a used Pride Revo 4 wheel scooter for a very reasonable price, that looks and works like new…. 8)

I bought it and also bought a pickup truck bed crane….took this to a local welding shop and they did some modifications :idea: ….will get someone to help me install it….

and now I will be able to go where they don't provide scooters….

so….if anyone wants to go to the mall? I am ready….just not too often… :lol:

…if you as a caregiver are thinking your LO could use something like this and you are able to provide…..don't wait until they won't or can't use it….

in looking at the ones that are used…..so many of those real expensive chairs…..were sat in only once or twice…. :cry:

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Post Re: Getting around easier…Mobility Scooter
Good for you, Craig! When Coy's case worker suggested one for him, I thought she was crazy, but it has proved to be a very good purchase!

It is nice for riding around the neighborhood. We have a very small but nice nature preserve nearby, and though the sign says no motorized vehicles I called the park department and found that mobility scooters are exempt.

We went to our local fireworks on the 4th, Coy on his scooter and me walking. It was sooo much better than trying to drive and park in the handicapped spaces.

Even before LBD, we rented scooters at the state fair for Coy (he has congestive heart failure and deformed feet -- bad combination for lots of walking and standing) and now we bring our own.

I hope you enjoy yours!

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Also, for those who are on Medicare, if the doctor will write a prescription for a scooter, most or all of the cost will be paid by Medicare. So the cost would not be an issue.

Julianne

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:18 am

I could be wrong, Julianne, but I believe the Medicare coverage only applies if the scooter is required fo getting around in the house.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 am

I would guess that few Lewies would be able to drive or safely negotiate a power scooter but it's a great idea if they can!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 am

I could be wrong too….

that is my understanding also…medicare will only cover if you need to get around house…they will only buy once too….so in cases where the mobility device is 100% necesary….it is probably preferable to get a chair instead of a scooter…

and that is really why I posted this….

don't wait !!!

don't wait until it is necesary…..they may only ride on it once or twice….

will a scooter improve quality of life? if the financial means is possible…..do it…there is no second chance….

from my research….quality second hand equipment can be had for around $500….

to try to put a price on being able to go places with my grandkids while I still can….

without owning or renting a scooter….no zoo….no disney….no mall….

so many things open back up to me….I am not limited to the grocery store, wal mart, home depot…..where they provide scooters...

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 am

I know most on the forum wouldn't be able to safely use a scooter….

but I can….right now…..

I will squeeze every moment of independence that I can going forward….

that is what is so horrible….

once lost….lost….not much hope of regaining anything once lost….

make the most of every moment….maximize it….squeeze it….and then squeeze it again…and take a picture so you can show it to me later….

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am

You are an amazing man Craig. Keep up the good fight - I really don't think I could be as strong and brave as you are. Good for you !!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:38 am

Ger…..

every one of your Loved Ones have been much braver and stronger than me….and for a lot longer….

never forget that….

if there is any insight that I can bring to this ordeal for most of the caregivers….

you probably missed most of the fight….mind…not all of you…..

but most of you probably missed most of the fight….your Loved Ones didn't know what they fighting….but they were fighting….24 hours a day….along with their real life….

most of you only see the tip of the iceberg….just before it melts….

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 am

Pat,
I agree but I also agree with Craig if it is done early enough it maybe possible for many, the truth of the matter we checked into it with my husband but at that point her wasn't able to do it , maybe if I had been smart enough to check earlier on it would have been a different outcome !

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:51 am
Profile WWW

I didn't look into it very far because my mother refused to use a scooter, but the doctor wrote the prescription so that my mother could use the scooter to get around outside. My mother did not need it indoors. The doctor said she had written the prescription for others in this situation and Medicare had covered it. This was also a few years ago and maybe the rules have changed.

Julianne

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]