View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Going on another adventure 

Post Going on another adventure
We're leaving tomorrow for a week in Wisconsin. This time I'm not particularly concerned about how Coy will hold up. I'm having awful daytime sleepiness ... not good for working, and not good if you are the only driver on a trip. I'm hoping a change of scenery will perk me up. Also talked to a doc who switched a morning pill to night, hoping that will make a difference. I'll let you know how we both do, in a week!

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Post Re: Going on another adventure
Jenne,
Have a good ,safe trip, look forward to hearing all about it next week !

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

Jeanne - bon voyage, happy trails! Have a relaxing trip! Lynn

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:22 am

Hope you both get some good rose smelling time…

Take care of both of you….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 am

Jeanne, I'm wishing you and Coy a great trip. As Craig said, take care of Jeanne, too!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Wishing both a good trip!!!

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:04 am

Have a wonderful time xxx

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Our 6 day trip to Wisconsin probably won't qualify as the highlight of our year, but it wasn't a disaster, either.

We lost two of those days to my health. Fortunately I didn't have any sleep attacks on days with a lot of driving. I was prepared to pull over and nap if that happened, but we got in all 737 miles without a nap! 8)

Coy was not functioning up to his current baseline. Looking back, I suspect it was the heat more than anything else. The friends we stayed with keep their home warmer than we do, and all the time we spent outdoors it was beastly hot. I'm looking forward to that cooling vest I've ordered for Coy.

We toured a brewery (of which Wisonsin has an abundance) mostly for nostalgia. We toured a local brewery on one of our early dates -- it was my turn to pick, and I needed something cheap! I was a little concerned when Coy was given 5 tickets for 5-ounce samples. He can have that much beer a day, but I didn't think it would be good to have it all at once, before lunch! Not to worry. He drank the first glass and pronounced it not as good as his current favorite. He only took a couple of swallows each of the second and third glasses, pronounced them inferior, and didn't use the other tickets. I like a man of discerning tastes, don't you?

We had an excellent lunch after the beer tour. I enjoy Coy's enthusiasm when he likes something. It was the best potato salad he has ever had. :P

We stayed one night in a motel and while I was walking ahead of Coy to get the door I heard a crash and a moan and turned to see him on the ground all bloody! Oh dear! A passerby pulled a patio chair over and helped me get Coy into it. It was hard to tell until I had cleaned him up a bit but all that blood was coming from a scrape on his forehead and he also scraped his elbow and knee. He didn't lose consciousness and seemed otherwise OK, so we got some bandaids from the desk clerk, cleaned him up better, and went out to dinner. I don't think this was a particularly Lewy fall. He was pulling a suitcase, it twisted going over a curb and he lost his balance. Coulda happened to anyone. Scary, though.

We saw two excellent plays in Spring Green. The costuming and action in Taming of the Shrew held his interest. I didn't think he followed the more cerebreal Blithe Spirit, but afterward he claimed he liked it. We've gone to American Players Theater for many years, and I think he would have enjoyed the experience even if he couldn't follow the play very well.

The husband of the couple we stayed with plays in a band and we went to see him in concert on the capital square. He band was joined by drummers and dancers from the Ho Chunk nation, in really impressive costumes. We all enjoyed the concert and the treats we bought from vendors that circle the square. Coy had to find a bathroom twice. We went into the capital building each time. (Wisconsin has to have one of the most public capital buildings in the country! No door security checks, people wandering in and out all the time, taking pictures, using the drinking fountains, er I mean bubblers, and bathrooms.) It was a significant walk from the lawn near the concert to the doors, and even though it was the coolest morning of the week, it really tired Coy out.

There is a great vantage point for watching fireworks not far from our friends' house and to avoid any parking and traffic problems our whole party walked there, with people younger and stronger than I pushing Coy in the wheelchair over very hilly terrain.

We went to a gallery we've been to several times and made some purchases on the way home. I let Coy pick out the paperweight to add to our small collection, and he is very proud to show it off to guests.

The final attraction we stopped at was a Duck ride in the Wisconsin Dells. (You, know, the WWII vehicle for which duck tape was developed.) We had a great dinner and bought some fudge from one of the ubiquitous fudge stores in the Dells to bring home to our son.

It was a worthwhile adventure. I wish we'd both been feeling better, but it worked out OK anyway.

Attachments:
Jeanne and Coy at brewery-1.JPG
Jeanne and Coy at brewery-1.JPG [ 144.36 KiB | Viewed 3219 times ]

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Great Picture….Great Smiles….

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Nice to see what you both look like, Jeanne! Great pic!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:55 pm

You both look very happy! Nice photo. Lynn

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh, we love the American Players Theater--such a lovely venue and always great theater, to. The ducks are also a favorite of ours. Glad you had such a good time!

Julianne

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Jeanne, You are such a positive person. I get great inspiration from reading about your adventures. 8)

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]